What to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AlexrDePasquale, Jul 28, 2012.

1. AlexrDePasquale macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2010 white unibody macbook 7,1 with a 2.4ghz, intel core 2 duo 4 gigs of RAM, and a 256gig 5400 rpm stock hdd. I am defiantly wanting to upgrade the ram to 8gig, and I want to upgrade my hdd to a ssd. First, to be clear this mac is able to use a 6g ssd correct? Next, would it be better to either: 1. Get a 256gig OWC ssd electra 6g and replace the old hard drive with that one. 2. Get a 256 gig OWC ssd electra 6g and put it into the opticlal drive to use the two drive in a Stirped RAID configuration. 3. Get two 120gig OWC ssd's and replace the existing hdd and the optical drive with them and put those into a RAID configuration. Third would be my most expenisve option clocking in at about 385 dollars including the RAM which I guess is the most I would spend. Any other seggestions or ssd companies/ideas are welcome. I mainly would like to know what would make my macbook the best configuration for the money that I am going to be spending with at least 256gig of total internal ssd memory and 8gigs of RAM.

Links to drives/RAM

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/YSSD6E240/ or a 120gig with same configuration

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBS6E120/ or a 120gig with same configuration

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

2. TacticalDesire, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Assuming you don't need the optical drive, I would go with option 2. Use the HDD as a data/media drive and use the SSD as the OS/apps drive. That, coupled with the 8gb of ram and you'll have a solid machine for many more years.

3. AlexrDePasquale thread starter macrumors newbie

I have thought about that, but the only problem with that is if I were to have two drives I would rather put them into a RAID configuration so as to not need to switch between the drives. Not sure if putting the SSD and HDD in a RAID configuration would slow down the SSD below its true potential. If I were to take out the current HDD and put in a single SSD I would use the OWC data enclosure kit to use the HDD as an external hard drive.

4. robvas macrumors 68030

You can't make a RAID from one SSD and one HDD

5. AlexrDePasquale thread starter macrumors newbie

That's something I didn't know. Now the question is one SSD or 2 in RAID? And can the 7,1 MB run full Sata 3 6g/s?

6. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

If you're looking to buy a SSD, I have a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD that is 3 days old for $170 shipped. It's arguably one of the fastest and most reliable SSDs on the market. These retail for over $220 not including tax or shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

7. AlexrDePasquale thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337