What to use for Mini Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glennsan, Nov 28, 2009.

1. glennsan macrumors regular

I am thinking of getting a mini and putting it in my bedroom. Since I would like to watch movies from bed now and then I am wondering what size monitor to be able to see movies from about 10 feet away and also use it for a computer monitor as well?

My current tv there is a 15 year old 26in Sony CRT so I am going to replace that and wonder what others are using for a monitor? I also am thinking of just getting a 27in iMac. Thanks for the input.

Glennsan

2. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I find that from about 6-8 feet away 24" is perfect.

3. chili macrumors member

this doesnt answer your question but,

why dont you just get an apple TV? oh right it doesnt support DivX and doesnt have a DVD player.

Then get one of those cheap-ass DVD players with USB ports and buy an external Hard drive. I saw one with HDMI for $100 today..

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It completely depends at what resolution the movies are at and how good your eyesight is. Providing you do have decent eyesight:

With a 23" display, standard definition is ideal at roughly 7 feet away, 720p at 4.5 feet and 1080p at 3 feet.

With a 27" iMac or display, standard definition is ideal at roughly 9 feet away, 720p is ideal at 6 feet and 1080p at 4 feet.

Of course if you don't mind not seeing every tiny detail you can move further back.

5. glennsan thread starter macrumors regular

I actually do have an apple tv but use it on the big screen downstairs and can handle its limitations. My desire to get a new computer is mainly because my current imac is over 3 years old and I have 3 kids who I share it with. I would also like to stream netflix and watch my ripped dvd's in my bedroom. I do not know of any device at the moment that would handle both of those but a computer.

Glennsan

Glennsan

6. glennsan thread starter macrumors regular

My eyesight is average for a 50 year old but getting worse every year so I was considering a lcd tv of around 32in in size. I think that I could view the movies at that size from my bed. We'll see.

Glennsan