What to use my PC for?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by undentifiedz, Mar 7, 2015.

1. undentifiedz macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, Sorry if this isn't really the right section to post but I need some "advice" on what I can do with my PC.

At the moment I have a macbook which I make music on (Its a strict music production mac, It's still my personal mac which I do other stuff on but I don't game on it) And I have my gaming PC which i never use since I got my mac for making music.

I turned it on and figured; why not do something with it instead of it collecting dust? it would be a waste of money.

Does anyone have any idea what I could use it for music production wise or just to make my life easyer in general, I used to hackintosh this PC but now it only has windows 10 on it, (I can hackintosh it again if i want to) If i hackintosh it, is there something I could do that would make some things easyer or something awesome I could do? (Like connect my hackintosh with my macbook and do stuff, vice versa) The only thing I really came up with was putting all my files of my mac on this PC (So I have a whole backup of my mac) which I'll probably do, my mac is 250GB and this PC has 1TB.

Sorry that this is such a vague post but I really want to know how I can put this PC to good use instead of letting it dust and never using it.

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

I used my old PC as an Home Theater PC. I connected it to the TV, downloaded Kodi and Navi-X and Project Free TV - then cancelled cable.

Eventually bought a mac mini to replace it and gave it to a friend,,but it worked.

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

4. undentifiedz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, that sounds like a cool idea, I might try that! Thanks!

I'll check this out too, thanks.

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Host servers on it. You can host a web server, Minecraft server, Email server, Bitfighter server, etc etc. You can also use it as a file storage box and access it remotely when you are away from home. Maybe even connect cameras to it and monitor your home.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Make it into a file server. Leave it on your network and use it for backups and archive. You can run BSD or Linux on it. File/backup servers need to be ultra reliable and BSD will do that.

As we all know BSD is the OS that Mac OS X is based on.

7. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I'm in a similar situation. I'm wondering if I should use it to run some free virtual instruments and connect it to my mini running logic Pro 9 somehow. The PC I got is a just low-end lenovo laptop. Could be fun, I think.

8. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Hang on to your PC. If you use and think you need more power using VI plu-ins some day, you can use the PC as a slave via ethernet and Vienna Ensemble Pro.

I was doing this for a while until I upgraded to a tricked out cMac Pro. VE Pro 5 can also come in handy as a sample host for CPU efficiency and 32-bit, 64-bit conflicts using one computer.

It's the coolest music production software ever developed IMO.

9. jblongz macrumors member

This. You can also use it to edit and render video/animation.