Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I got the Apple TV 4 the day it came out and while I'm happy with it, I must say I'm disappointed in what streaming apps are available in Canada.

I enjoy iTunes and Netflix, but an HBO app would be nice. The CBC News app is decent, but I'd also appreciate something with live streaming like a CP24 app. Or a CNN app.

I imagine in time we'll see stuff like this, but I wish things could hurry up.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I do agree the streaming apps available for Canadians is very limited right now. I use shomi (free for me), Netflix and crackle. Crave still needs to add more new stuff. I hope to see the following apps: ctv go, city video, global go, cbc video, space, bnn, comedy go and bravo go. All of those are already available for iOS so they just need to port them over to tvos.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Considering we do have access to HBO in Canada through our cable providers, it's really disappointing that there's no HBO app at all.

wav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I suppose maybe the CRTC is keeping an HBO from Apple TV? But, like you said, we have HBO on cable. It just doesn't make any sense.

I suppose stuff like CP24 will come eventually. I hope.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
For news, I like to get caught up a few times a day on the fantastic Reuters Now app. You can choose 10, 15 or 30 minutes depending on how much time you have and it'll play the latest news. Of course, this is world news so you won't find anything specific to Canada unless its major news.

For that, there's CBC News. It's a very nicely designed tvOS app with a top shelf available. CBC News shows live in the app when the newscast is live on tv, omitting the commercials.

I've really come to appreciate CBC, turned off by City News and CP24's "entertainment news" with exaggerated "click bait" headlines and editorialized stories aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.