What to watch out for in a used mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dogbone, May 7, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

What are some good ways to test a used mac (g5 iMac in this case) that can be performed fairly quickly. For example a mem test that takes an hour is no good, but maybe there is some quick test that while not as good can still tell if somethng is wrong. I'm probably just being a bit overcautious here because I've never personally had a problem with any macs.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A basic shut down + restart can be a good way to test it out if you're really pressed for time. Avoid an actual restart but rather a shut down, wait a few seconds, and then a boot up as this will strain the system just that little bit more in terms of power management. Once booted, I'd run iTunes with the visualiser (tests CPU and GPU plus associated drivers) plus maybe verify the hard drive with Disk Utility. One final thing to do might be to select a large collection of files and then duplicate them using the File menu. Don't be ridiculous with the amount of files though. Do you need more? :)

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Well those are some damn fine ideas there mad jew, just what I was looking for.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If I am able to be in front of the computer as in your case. I do a shut down start up and while opening iTunes and duplicating files. I would run over to the Apple menu and check the "about this computer" looking further you can find all the computers information. If they are trying to sell a non bluetooth computer saying it is and such, you'll catch it before putting the money down.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. What sort of Mac is it exactly? If it's a laptop then don't check the battery's remaining time straight after waking from sleep or even straight after boot up because it'll be slightly out (usually higher).

Edit: Ignore me, I'm an idiot. It's an iMac. :D