What to write in a post-interview "Thank You" note?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Sep 16, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I am doing lots of interviews right now for an internship and my teacher tells us that it would look really good to write Thank You notes to the firms (accounting) and it would give us a better chance.

But my question is... what do I write in a note like that? "Thank you for considering me?" I really cannot think of what to write...

Any ideas on a short but good message?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Address it to whoever interviewed you,

I would just just like to take a moment to thank you for your time and consideration during my interview (date). I look forward to hearing from your firm soon.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like that a lot; the only thing is that after all the interviews are done, my school does a matching process to find the best matches (in terms of student and firm preference) ... meaning that I won't necessarily "hear back" from the firms. So should I just cut the last sentence or is there something else I could say? Like, "I look forward to ..." I am not sure what an appropriate finish would be in this case.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Should I say "your firm" or should I actually write the specific firm's name (i.e. KPMG)?

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would write their specific name, makes it seem more personal.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Hm. I think saying "Your firm" sounds better since it addresses the reader directly, it's not a static statement...

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I agree.

9. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But don't you think I should somehow make a specific mention of the firm name so it doesn't seem like I am writing the same exact message to everyone and only changing who it is to?

But I do agree that writing 'your firm' sounds better.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, but be sure to use his/her name in the greeting.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Yup. Always address a business letter to someone specific. There's nothing worse than just receiving a blanket mailer that could be intended for anyone.

You could say "I look forward to my career with WXYZ Corp. and to hearing from your firm soon." or like that..

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That would work too.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As long as you say Mr. (fill in name here), you can stay "Your firm" in the body of the letter.

Otherwise, you need to say KPMG (the company name).

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I would just add that I usually try to work in a sentence or two about something that the interviewer and I discussed during the interview (e.g. current projects that the company's working on, that sort of thing) to demonstrate more specific interest in the company.

15. spikespike macrumors member

I agree. Add something you found interesting in the interview. Proves youre into their company and paid attention to what they were saying.

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If its a job you want, try incorporating something like "I look forward to joining your [team/project/organization]" and also thank them for their time. It's ok to show enthusiasm and interest ;)

If its a job you don't want, just thank them for the time they took to interview you.