Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I might go have a chat with my Apple store tomorrow and try and return my Macbook. Not sure yet. I think they will only take it back or give me credit for something else if I have a valid reason.

I might try to claim that the display is not what I expected (they know I had a MBA before). Is there any tool out there that can prove it's not avery good display? Especially the difference between the greyscaling on top vs. the bottom might be nice to point out.

Thanks in advance.

By the way I'm not trying to dis the MB screen. It's ok and fine for average use. MBA and VAIO Z and SZ look better though. I'm just trying to build a case.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
You can take it back within 14 days, how does it compare with the vaio screens? I take it the sz has the same x-black screen as my fe11, i want to get the macbook but not if the screen is noticably worse.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm hoping to return for full store credit without needing any tool. My problem is the Apple products I own were all purchased haphazrdly. Meaning, the MacPro was a gift, the MB and PB were my own purchases, both iPhones were also my own but one was an AT&T purchase, both Nanos I own were gifts, and the shuffle was a prize. In other words, I am loyal and I'm a customer but having to prove this just to avoid the restocking fee is going to be difficult.

I am pretty sure I'm going to wipe this today and try to bring it in tomorrow and see what is said. My biggest issue is I love the machine otherwise. If the Air only had the glass trackpad.

Edit:
Download this image and display it both.

http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/4800test.zip

But if you do not have an Air to compare only a 4 year old PowerBook, how would one do this? Or load this up in store next to an air?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
You can take it back within 14 days,
I'm not sure it applies in the Netherlands. They migh hit me with a 10% restocking fee.

how does it compare with the vaio screens?
Vaio Z has a bit better contrast and better viewing angles. The LED on SZ has higher contrast.

I take it the sz has the same x-black screen as my fe11, i want to get the macbook but not if the screen is noticably worse.
It's ok as long as you look at it straight on. The vertical viewing angle is horrible.

I am pretty sure I'm going to wipe this today and try to bring it in tomorrow and see what is said. My biggest issue is I love the machine otherwise. If the Air only had the glass trackpad.
Word! Everything you wrote there applies to me.

Download this image and display it on both.
Thanks for the tip!

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I'm hoping to return for full store credit without needing any tool.

Let us know how you get on. I'm trying to love mine. Today is my first full day with it at work plugged into my 24" ACD. So far it's been fine once I get the viewing angle right. It's such a shame that Apple have opted for this screen, I assume it was a price based decision. Well I would have gladly paid extra if I could get a decent screen, even a high res one. I just want to stick with the 13" for portability and the Air does not have the capacity to serve as my only computer.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If you insert the installation DVD and restart the Mac to install the OS again, you open Disk Utility from the Menu (Applications or something like that) while you are booted from the DVD.

There you have the option to rease the hard drive with Security Options, which let you overwrite the whole drive once, seven times or 35 times with ones and zeros.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Let us know how you get on. I'm trying to love mine. Today is my first full day with it at work plugged into my 24" ACD. So far it's been fine once I get the viewing angle right. It's such a shame that Apple have opted for this screen, I assume it was a price based decision. Well I would have gladly paid extra if I could get a decent screen, even a high res one. I just want to stick with the 13" for portability and the Air does not have the capacity to serve as my only computer.
Well yeah, but the 120 is a way better option than 80 gb not to mention the upgrade path is easier with a SATA drive. Sure, the Air isn't as easy to upgrade as the MB is, but it's doable to any self-proclaimed geek. As far as the Air goes, I wouldn't chance it but I think I know who may if I buy a couple of drinks (after the fact).

I too would have paid $200 more for a better display. I do not think I should have to. 3 PCs died when I spent $1600 on a notebook. In other words, my theory is this ... take the Air Rev A panel and put into MacBook. If you're so ****ing (steve jobs) worried about somehow caniablizing your line by providing a nice panel in the lowest end MacBook then put the MBP panel in the Rev B Air. While I can't see how anyone can truly compare the Air to the MB as the Air is definitely for a specific niche market, I can totally see how Apple would panic about this.

If you insert the installation DVD and restart the Mac to install the OS again, you open Disk Utility from the Menu (Applications or something like that) while you are booted from the DVD.

There you have the option to rease the hard drive with Security Options, which let you overwrite the whole drive once, seven times or 35 times with ones and zeros.

And FWIW, 35 pass or nothing because they will only reinstall OSX and farm it out as a refurb.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Yes, because the newb that buys your old MacBook as a refurb is totally going to go through the trouble trying to recover erased data just to get access to the cookies you used on websites during the 3 days you used the computer.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yes, because the newb that buys your old MacBook as a refurb is totally going to go through the trouble trying to recover erased data just to get access to the cookies you used on websites during the 3 days you used the computer.

You should see the sites I visited in the first 3 days of owning my new MB.
naughty17hs.gif

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
I might go have a chat with my Apple store tomorrow and try and return my Macbook. Not sure yet. I think they will only take it back or give me credit for something else if I have a valid reason.

I might try to claim that the display is not what I expected (they know I had a MBA before). Is there any tool out there that can prove it's not avery good display? Especially the difference between the greyscaling on top vs. the bottom might be nice to point out.

Thanks in advance.

By the way I'm not trying to dis the MB screen. It's ok and fine for average use. MBA and VAIO Z and SZ look better though. I'm just trying to build a case.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

dcorban said:

To each is own really. :rolleyes: no one cares about my data for sure but I personally make it a special point to do what I can to erase it.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I tried giving it back to Apple today. Only possibility was a 15% restocking fee.

I guess I could have negotiated 10% but I'd rather sell it myself.

I am not sure if I'll sell it. Probably will.

LFC.SL

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
UK
No. The Distance Selling Regulations were implemented as required under EC Law due to an EC Directive on the same subject matter. You have a 14 day no questions asked return period

I returned my second duplicate 4G Nano this way (don't ask)

Consumers are entitled to withdraw from a contract where goods are purchased involving the use of distance communication

And to conclude, this right is EU wide as the powers are derived from a Directive ;) How it is implemented is specific to the individual member state

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
You may want to try another store. I went to mine yesterday and was very polite and when they tried to say it was fine pulled up a Dark Knight trailer. No one could say it was close to being a mediocre display when demonstrated. I agreed to a return with no restock fee as store credit.

For only $200 more I get a refreshed Air in two weeks!

A shame because that onboard superdrive was nice - but not to watch a movie with? Go figure..:rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I tried giving it back to Apple today. Only possibility was a 15% restocking fee.

I guess I could have negotiated 10% but I'd rather sell it myself.

I am not sure if I'll sell it. Probably will.

Where are you located? I think it's important to note which stores are being complete d-bags about the whole thing.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No. The Distance Selling Regulations were implemented as required under EC Law due to an EC Directive on the same subject matter. You have a 14 day no questions asked return period

I returned my second duplicate 4G Nano this way (don't ask)

Consumers are entitled to withdraw from a contract where goods are purchased involving the use of distance communication

And to conclude, this right is EU wide as the powers are derived from a Directive ;) How it is implemented is specific to the individual member state

Good to know

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
In the end I swapped my MacBook for a MacBook Pro 15" which arrived today.

:eek: :eek: There really is no comparison. The MBPro screen is brilliant (literally). I just wish Apple used the same quality screen on the MB but I guess I can live with the extra weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.