What tool do you use to make webpages?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I just started getting into web editing. I mostly use HTML, Netscape 7 composer and I like to dabble in dreamweaver.
Just wanted to know what most people are using to create their pages.
I just made my first webapage the other day www.aidsinfo.cjb.net it was for a school project. It is very simple and not very pleasent to the eye but I think its alright for a first atempt.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Photoshop and BBedit. I like to get my hands dirty and do manual coding. Muahahaha. :D

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
fireworks, textmate, and just about every browser known to man. Sometimes I've got to ssh into a dev server and use vim.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Primarily BBEdit, although some things about TextMate are making me look at switching, plus the UNIX level tools (vim, cvs)

tombo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2004
Brighton/Bristol UK
I use XXE. It's an xml editor, and it's virtually impossible to make invalid pages by the xhtml (and html 4) standard. As a result, you don't have to go to a validator page.
I like the way that it won't let you put in illegal stuff by the standard.
It avoids tag-soup, and is semi-wysiwyg. I then use a text editor to make my css.
-needs a lot of previewing in browsers, but it makes the code easy to read and maintainable.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Dreamweaver and BBEdit (for PHP stuff mainly, I'm not full on hardcore!), along with Fireworks and the occasional dabble in Photoshop. TextWrangler is a good freeware alternative to BBEdit.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Personally, like many others here, I use a mixture of BBedit and Dreamweaver, but if you want something free and more powerful than the basic Mozilla Composer, then check out NUV:

http://www.nvu.com

It's not quite an open-source alternative to Dreamweaver, but it's a helluva good try =]

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, in order of what I use most to least:
GoLive
Create
ImageReady
Curator
PhotoToWeb
Photoshop
LiveMotion​
And then clean up or quick changes in OmniWeb.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I use a combination of TextWrangler, Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I used to use Editpad (before I switched to Mac) exclusively, but as the sites I was designing got more complicated, it became easier to use a tool like Dreamweaver. A big part of the advantage to me is the integrated site management stuff present in Dreamweaver, although the WYSIWG editing is also nice in a lot of cases.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
If you need a simple, free HTML editor, use Taco HTML Edit. Thats what I use. I don't like DW and some of those other pro ones because they seem overpriced and can become complicated to use them. I can do everything on my websites (stuff like XHTML, XML, PHP, CSS, ASP) purely by code on Taco.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
my site was created with bbedit and help from php.net, w3school, and webmonkey. Graphics were created entirely from photoshop and uploading was done via transmit which has a nice sync feature with editors such as bbedit.