Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
What torrent apps are there for PowerPC Macs on 10.4.11 Tiger?

I'm on Transmission 1.54 (app last updated on June 4, 2009) right now and seeking alternatives.

List any and all that were updated as recently as 2009. Thanks! :)

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
What torrent apps are there for PowerPC Macs on 10.4.11 Tiger?

I'm on Transmission 1.54 (app last updated on June 4, 2009) right now and seeking alternatives.

List any and all that were updated as recently as 2009. Thanks! :)

Is there any reason Transmission is letting you down? I'm still using it on my iMac G3 and I've had no problems with it. Transmission is such a light program, it runs really smoothly on old Macs.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Transmission doesn't support torrent magnet links, thats why I upgraded to Leopard for utorrent

Yes it does.... I'm running it on my MDD which currently isn't plugged in or I would tell you the version number. Are you sure you are using the most recent build for Leopard?

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Quick google search got me to this site: https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11712

Supposedly an Installer for 10.4 PPC, Transmission 2.31: link.
Also on that site is the daemon version and a non-installer version.

Rudloff said:
Here is an installer (that will install in /usr/local/...) and a very basic launch script.
I have tried to create a launchd agent but am not really familiar with these things so I gave up when the daemon ended up being launched 4 times at startup...

I'm pretty sure 2.31 is new enough to support magnet links. Hope it helps somewhat.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
It should work, I had that version on Tiger if I remember correctly. I have also tried other applications but as the first answer said, they were either pretty bad or way to demanding on the system.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Transmission 1.80

Transmission is free to download and use on any machine running Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later.

Transmission 1.80 (2010/01/20)

This is a huge listen-to-the-users release -- it uses 103 ideas from users, including 44 enhancements, 26 bug fixes, and 33 more bug fixes during the beta tests. Thanks to everyone involved for helping to improve Transmission.

All tickets closed by this release

All Platforms

Add support for magnet links
Add support for trackerless torrents
Add optional "incomplete directory" where partial downloads are stored
Add .part to incomplete files' filenames
Find more peers by announcing to each tier in a torrent's tracker list, rather than only one
Fix vulnerability from maliciously-crafted torrent files that could overwrite other files
Improved IPv6 support
Improved PEX sharing with other peers
Faster management of large peer lists
DHT improvements to bootstrapping and IPv6
Newly-added torrents without local data don't wait in the "Verify Local Data" queue anymore
Add an OS hint to not cache local data during torrent verification
Use less CPU when making encrypted handshakes to peers
Better filtering of bad IP addresses
Fix bug that gave "too many open files" error messages
Fix bug that could crash Transmission on shutdown
Fix bug that could unpause or repause a torrent on startup
When uploading, improve disk IO performance by prefetching the data in batches
Portability fixes for embedded systems
Other small bug fixes and improvements

They don't list it as the BEST version for Tiger in their downloads section, but you can get the versions that do have the magnet links support here:

http://download-origin.transmissionbt.com/files/

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.