What torrent client should I use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imbrication, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Imbrication macrumors newbie

I'm not that new to Mac, but in the past I just downloaded the first application I saw and just dealt with it. However, now I just got a new MacBook Pro "13 I'm more careful with what I download because I want to keep it organized.

So anyway, my question is pretty much as the title says: What torrent client should I use?

I've currently got µTorrent installed, but I know there are a lot more torrent clients out there (Transmission, for example). Which one of these is the fastest/safest?

I only use it to download movies and some soundtracks (bad, I know).

2. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

On Windows utorrent is the best, but on Linux and OSX Transmission is a lot better.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Recommending Transmission as well. In fact, currently listening to something I used it to get ;)

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Transmission for torrents, sure. But if you can get on the Unison bandwagon, you get brownie points.

6. Durious macrumors 6502

7. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i have no problem with utorrent. What has kept me from transmission was that there was a rather large thread on their forums saying that transmission slows down your computer to a crawl over time, so I have stayed far from it

8. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

I've seen neither that thread nor that problem. Works flawlessly for me.

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

No offense, but Vuze sucks. It slows down your computer to a crawl and has a bunch of useless features that look cool but will never be useful to the vast majority of people. Transmission is the best client on the Mac side of things, while uTorrent takes the cake on the PC side.

10. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I had to dump Transmission and go with uTorrent, which has worked very well for me. I liked Transmission and used it for a long time, but it got buggy as snot for some reason and all the uninstall/delete plist, etc. I did was fruitless. So I would suggest you try them both, and hopefully Transmission will work for you. But if it doesn't, uTorrent should be fine.

11. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I use uTorrent on a daily basis basically because I almost always download full torrents, but when I need to select only a few archives within a torrent I use Transmission.