What torrent program do you use? and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GrumpyGeek, Oct 27, 2013.

1. GrumpyGeek macrumors regular

Hello MacRumors.

As the above say. Please comment.

Cheers!
    GG

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. domdom83 macrumors member

4. GrumpyGeek thread starter macrumors regular

I was using Transmission for a bit but here was my problem:

I download all my media to a server on my network. The folder on my server is then scanned by plex so that i can watch it on my apple TV 2. When i was download things with Transmission i found that Plex could not scan it correctly and i had to do a force can on plex before it would show up in my network. I think it was the way that Transmission downloaded things in part but i can't be certain.

Not sure if any of you have had this problem.

Cheers!
    GG

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

uTorrent, as I found it to produce less wasted data, thus higher speed and reliability.

As for your problem, I don't know, but all torrent clients download based on parts (pieces), as that's the whole point of this type of transfer.

6. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

uTorrent, here.

As far as the issue you brought up-

You can configure at least uTorrent and probably the others to download to a folder not associated with Plex and once complete, move to one that Plex watches. I also use Plex and that's what I do. Only complete media files get into the watched plex folder instead of partial files. Works fine.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

+1 more for uTorrent! I don't know why anyone would choose something else. Vuze and Transmission were only good before uTorrent was written for Mac.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

I don't torrent much these days, but when i do, i prefer uTorrent, just because i'm used to be, and more popular.

In the past, Transmission had issues with exiting the app completely... I always found it to hand on closing.... uTorrent does the same, but is less frustrating, since Transmission did it all the time.

10. damidget macrumors regular

I use Vuze, as I find it is fast and reliable.

11. ekiro macrumors regular

Who doesn't use uTorrent? It's a robust app with a nice UI and we'll maintained. Most importantly it's free!

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

.. what torrenting application isn't free?

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Cant remember the name, but there was/is a paid torrent client for Mac. I wonder if anyone uses it, unless its pirated lol

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been using micro torrent on my PC's and Macs for years. No reason to use anything else, at least for me..

15. cypriot macrumors regular

I always used utorrent but qbittorrent is my current choice because you can search for torrents within the app and it is way faster. I dont know why it is.

16. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Transmission....but I'm stuck at version 2.11 since it is the last version that lets you use a proxy

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

I used transmission when I used to use it straight from my mac.

I have a seedbox now though.

18. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Have used uTorrent and Transmission and not much to choose between them really.

I'm now using ruTorrent on a seedbox which is a much better solution all around and well worth considering if your doing a lot of torrenting ;)

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I posted earlier, I use Transmission and it meets my needs. There is nothing wrong with uTorrent operationally, but I am a bit put off uTorrent since they were bought out by BitTorrent Inc. then the BitTorrent crew thought it would be a great idea to inject ads into the uTorrent app. They later backed away from this after user outcry and last I read they made the ads optional, but I suspect it is a sign of things to come for the app. I could be wrong.

20. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

21. tdream macrumors 65816

22. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I sue Transmission as it seems to be quite light weight

Does anyone know if it's possible though to designate which files in a torrent you want to download when using Transmission? I couldn't figure out how to do this

23. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Transmission, mainly because it is light and unobtrusive. On the other hand, I did not notice the same issues as others here seemed to have. Although it is a but slow to reach its top speed, it has a pretty good yield.

Do µTorrent give you more flexible and performant upload?

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Select the torrent file in the main window then do command-i and the box below pops up. Select the files tab and uncheck the files you do not want to download.

[​IMG]