Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
So it's been a while since I got a new toy, and I think I might need to remedy that situation. After all my normal expenses, savings, and buying holiday gifts, I have $200 or so totally unspoken-for.

I have no idea what to get with this money, so I was hoping to solicit some suggestions. I was thinking that I would hit up some stores for their after Christmas sales, so figure that a lot of suggestions may be priced slightly lower when I go to purchase.

I am going to list some things that I already have. This will serve a couple purposes. (1) It will hopefully prevent people from suggesting something I already have, (2) it may give people ideas for things to go along with items I already own, and (3) it's also a list of things I could potentially sell to help increase the amount of fun money I have.

Thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stuff I've got:
- Blue Nintento DS w/ MarioKart and Animal Crossing: Wild World
- G4 Mac Mini w/ Samsung 172x LCD monitor
- 15" PowerBook w/ Radtech cloth, InCase sleeve, & Crumpler bag
- 120GB LaCie Big Disc + 60 GB external I put together (I may need something larger. The 60 is a backup for my laptop drive, and the 120 is running out of space)
- Airport base station
- Panasonic stereo (surround sound - but I don't really have anything other than CDs that take advantage of that feature)
- Samsung T519 for T-Mobile
- Forgot to mention that I have an iPod Shuffle, my wife has a Nano, and we have some digital cameras.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions? Things you have been thinking about getting? I could perhaps try to get a larger monitor, or an LCD TV to act as a monitor and a TV (I would need to sell some stuff). I could get games for my DS. I could sell the DS and some other stuff and get a Wii. I could get more HD space. I could just get some fun accessories for something. I really have no clue. HELP! :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm not usually one for advocating charitable things, but if you truly have no idea what to do with it, take some of it, buy some decent toys or books, and donate them to one of the many places collecting them, or bring them directly to a shelter, home for battered women, etc. Knowing that you helped make Christmas less miserable for some unfortunate child (or children) is likely going to ultimately be more rewarding than a new game.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
So it's been a while since I got a new toy, and I think I might need to remedy that situation. After all my normal expenses, savings, and buying holiday gifts, I have $200 or so totally unspoken-for.

I have no idea what to get with this money, so I was hoping to solicit some suggestions. I was thinking that I would hit up some stores for their after Christmas sales, so figure that a lot of suggestions may be priced slightly lower when I go to purchase.

I am going to list some things that I already have. This will serve a couple purposes. (1) It will hopefully prevent people from suggesting something I already have, (2) it may give people ideas for things to go along with items I already own, and (3) it's also a list of things I could potentially sell to help increase the amount of fun money I have.

Thanks in advance!

Stuff I've got:
- 120GB LaCie Big Disc + 60 GB external I put together (I may need something larger. The 60 is a backup for my laptop drive, and the 120 is running out of space)
- Airport base station
- Panasonic stereo (surround sound - but I don't really have anything other than CDs that take advantage of that feature)
- Forgot to mention that I have an iPod Shuffle and my wife has a Nano

Suggestions? Things you have been thinking about getting? I could perhaps try to get a larger monitor, or an LCD TV to act as a monitor and a TV (I would need to sell some stuff). I could get games for my DS. I could sell the DS and some other stuff and get a Wii. I could get more HD space. I could just get some fun accessories for something. I really have no clue. HELP! :D

Why not get yourself a RED nano?
Very useful and A contribution is made to a good cause.
(the only problem is when the wife gets a look at it ..... she will want one too (lol)

HAPPY XMAS

DAVE :)

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
Fun money is always a tough call, but I would suggest trying something you've never done before. I used $500 to go on a camping trip some years back, and now really enjoy hiking and backpacking (never mind that I've now spent twice that on gear...:( ). I'm not saying camping, but just something a bit different. If you have to go for an electronic, though, look for a nice digital camera; those are always nice to have.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I'm not usually one for advocating charitable things, but if you truly have no idea what to do with it, take some of it, buy some decent toys or books, and donate them to one of the many places collecting them, or bring them directly to a shelter, home for battered women, etc. Knowing that you helped make Christmas less miserable for some unfortunate child (or children) is likely going to ultimately be more rewarding than a new game.

Certainly not a bad idea. I have given a decent amount of stuff so far this year, but there's always room to give more. If nothing else, I can take the huge stack of books I was trying to figure out what to do with and give those to a shelter or something. Such is the life of an English major with way too much reading material and not nearly enough space to shelve it all.

Fun money is always a tough call, but I would suggest trying something you've never done before. I used $500 to go on a camping trip some years back, and now really enjoy hiking and backpacking (never mind that I've now spent twice that on gear...:( ). I'm not saying camping, but just something a bit different. If you have to go for an electronic, though, look for a nice digital camera; those are always nice to have.

A camping trip really does sound great. I used to camp all the time (as well as backpack, bike, etc.), but I don't know if I can do that at the moment. I am still recovering from a car accident, so I don't know how well I would do away from comfy places to sit every once in a while. Perhaps I could save until I'm ready to get back out there.

As for the camera thing, I totally forgot to put that on the list (see, this is why I put it there). I have 2 digital cameras, as well as a nice 35mm SLR, and don't plan on getting a new one until I can get a DSLR. Good suggestions, though! :)

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
you could always get a pet - the gift that keeps on giving (also pooing and eating) - I for one enjoy budgies, not saying you don't, but surely there is some beast of nature that could fit an engish major? :)

not to mention that many animals who gets too old to be sold andisn't one of the lucky ones selected for breeding are put down, a sad fate this side of christmas.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
you could always get a pet - the gift that keeps on giving (also pooing and eating) - I for one enjoy budgies, not saying you don't, but surely there is some beast of nature that could fit an engish major? :)

Funny you should say that. I keep trying to convince the wife that we need to get a puppy, but she's not exactly convinced. For now, I have to make do with our parents' cats, her parents' birds, and our friend's new puppy. :eek:

Keep up the great ideas, though, folks! This is actually fairly helpful.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Funny you should say that. I keep trying to convince the wife that we need to get a puppy, but she's not exactly convinced.

Get a fish, and name it Woofie.. hopefully the wife will get the hint :D

Suggestions..Tivo, Wireless headset, a night out with the wife, or save it for when the iTV is released.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC

Thanks in advance!

Stuff I've got:
- Airport base station
- Forgot to mention that I have an iPod Shuffle, my wife has a Nano, and we have some digital cameras.

get a DS Lite

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.