what "triggers" a Mac to sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, May 25, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

is there something that indicates activity/inactivity, and actually "triggers" a Mac to go to sleep?

For example, if I am:
    [1] copying files between my MB and MBP or iMac over my airport network
    [2] downloading a movie off iTunes, or
    [3] ripping a backup copy of a DVD I own using Handbrake to view in iTunes

These are all tasks that may take a while -- as in, I que them up, then go do something else while the Macs work. Do I need to adjust my energy saver preferences to "never so that the Macs don't go to sleep while working? Or is there something that tells the Macs they are in the middle of a file transfer, iTunes download, or DVD rip, so that they don't fall asleep mid-stream?

thanks!!
    Mark

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, when they are still doing something, they will not sleep. I've never had be an issue, and I've let iTunes downloads go overnight.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you want to be sure you can always download a program like Insomniax to prevent the computer from falling asleep, and you can also sleep the display easier that way too.

4. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies so far. I know about Insomniax (and energy saver); that's not really what I'm after. I still want my Mac to fall asleep typically, just trying to learn whether I need to take special measures to keep it from falling asleep when it's working (such as the cases [a]-[c] I described above), or if this is taken care of automatically.

thanks!!
    Mark

5. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I don't think you need any extra measures. I routinely download and transfer files and never had my Mac go to sleep when doing anything like what you describe. About the only thing odd I can think of is that it would sometimes go to sleep when I had Adium open and was receiving messages (but not here to reply, obviously). You shouldn't have to adjust anything.