Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipdistefano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I've been having this white spot on my mid-2007 MacBook Pro's palmrest for about a year, and I cannot figure out what it is or how to get it off. I usually clean my MBP with a Mr. Clean magic eraser (which works wonderfully, by the way), but that or nothing else will get this white spot off.

This makes me think that I touched my computer with some sort of chemical on my hand that reacted with the aluminum and discolored it. Does anyone know what could do this and if there is any way to get it off? There's no way I'm the only person this has happened to.

Thanks. :)

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Well metal oxidizes, so it might be from sweat or something from your palms? I'm not really sure maybe someone can clarify that, but that would be the only thing I could think of.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Your sweat likely has a high acid concentration. Your wrists sweat, it hits the palm rest, it discolors it.

Hasnt happened to me on a mac, but has happened to me on MANY other laptops.

philipdistefano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
While I won't completely rule it out, I don't think it's sweat for a few reasons:

1) It just appeared one day; it wasn't gradual.
2) It's just one small spot less than the area of a dime.
3) It's not really where my palm rests.

I do think my sweat is a little acidic though, as the paint has pitted on my palmrest before and Apple replaced it, but I think it is starting to do it again.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I don't mean to steal your thunder here, but maybe this can be an option for you if they have one for the 'multibody' design?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW023LL/A

I want to know if anyone has had any experience with this, I only plan on using the palm rest part - not the trackpad. Does it leave any sort of residue on it? According to the specifications it doesn't, I just want to know if anyone has had any "hands on" experience with it. Finally, what material is it made of???

I just want to get all the facts before I get a new MBP :) !

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Does it look something like this?

You've most likely rubbed off the "paint", outer coating, (I have no idea what it is actually).
I had a white spot on my 2007 MBP too. I tried cleaning it one day and the coating rubbed off even more. I figured I should stop there.

EDIT: Here's a bigger pic. Still not great quality. The iPhone loves to "optimize" photos.

Attachments

• keyboard.jpg
    keyboard.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 195

philipdistefano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Does it look something like this?

You've most likely rubbed off the "paint", outer coating, (I have no idea what it is actually).
I had a white spot on my 2007 MBP too. I tried cleaning it one day and the coating rubbed off even more. I figured I should stop there.

I can't tell since the picture is so small, but I think that's what mine is as well. :(

My Apple care lasts until this June, so if it gets any worse, I'll bring it in and have the palmrest replaced...again (third or fourth time...).

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Semen.

Hey...

...You asked.

Edit: I say this guessing if it doesn't come off it might be it. Don't ask me how I know though. Seriously. Dont ask.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
I've been having this white spot on my mid-2007 MacBook Pro's palmrest for about a year, and I cannot figure out what it is or how to get it off. I usually clean my MBP with a Mr. Clean magic eraser (which works wonderfully, by the way), but that or nothing else will get this white spot off.

This makes me think that I touched my computer with some sort of chemical on my hand that reacted with the aluminum and discolored it. Does anyone know what could do this and if there is any way to get it off? There's no way I'm the only person this has happened to.

Thanks. :)

There is no way? The ultimate solution for you: http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-180-macbook-pro-g2-15.aspx

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Why would you use a Magic Eraser to clean your computer?!?!:confused:
That is probably why it white now. The Magic Eraser ruined the trim in my car, so I would never use it on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.