Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I'm all in for debate BUT if it was me, for the same price, i'd go for a smaller screen and go OLED all the way. My flatmate & best buddy has just got the LG B7 55" OLED for £1199 and I gotta say, with the Apple TV 4K connected to it, it's simply perfection.
It looks lovely on the wall mounted 6 inches above our BO Concept low level unit. (And that's coming from me who usually dislikes large screen TVs :) :) :)
Even iTunes HD films look absolutely insane on it so maybe a 65" LG B7 OLED will come in at a similar price to what you are looking at over in the US???

Just an idea but I reckon that these LG OLED's are simply the best of the best and at this price - WOW! Plus with the LG offering 4K Dolby Vision, iTunes 4K DV films are breathtaking on it :)

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Thanks. More of a size thing for me. This is going in a large living room. Would be unhappy with a 55 in it regardless of quality.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Thanks. More of a size thing for me. This is going in a large living room. Would be unhappy with a 55 in it regardless of quality.
Was thinking 65"???
It's cool isn't it how TV size requirement vary from country to country :) Over in the UK, 75" is virtually unheard of :) 55" is a monster screen to me :) :) :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I will only buy a 3D 4K HDR TV.

I use a curved 48" as my monitor. A bit too big, but there were no 46".

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I would suggest you take a look at avsforum dot com. They cover lots of information about TVs and in the forum section you might find one of choices you listed for an 'owners section." You can ask owners of these TVs and techie buffs for real input. Remember, it isn't always about the tech data on paper but the actual use of the TV. They also have reviews and in the reviews they may contrast and compare to similar TVs.

Since you are not looking for the top of the line, then perhaps you should focus on somewhat of a best bang for the buck scenario where there is a balance between price and quality/features.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
See

https://www.soundandvision.com/equipment-reviews

They do a lot of lab testing, and I have been pleased with their results. You will have to look at the test results for 65" as even in the U.S. 75" is unusual, but it is starting to show up in Costco. As a brand they have recommend Visio frequently for their price/performance ratio.

I would look at what television features are important to you (HDR, 4K, Apps, OLED, etc.) rather than price initially. When you know what you want then look at price. These things go on sale frequently, and prices are always dropping. Here's the price history of the 65" LG OLED I have been watching on Amazon via camel camel:

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 20.21.46.png

When you are spending that much money I wouldn't make a decision based only on the fact that it is a great deal.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
A friend of mine in the US with a massive house has a 70+ Vizio TV in the playroom and a bigger and more expensive Samsung in the main living room.

For watching sport and youtube the Vizio is more than good enough. Important things to consider in big rooms is viewing angle and brightness. So experience your shortlist of TVs in person and visit AVforums to find out if either suffer input lag or any other issues that would spoil a good night in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.