Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type is the main camera that you use?

• Total voters

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I used to use a Sony mirrorless and a Sony compact. Used to carry them whenever I travel. They are tedious, but I was more enthusiastic on the geeky stuff in RAW editing and pixel peeping back then. Life got busier, and these things become cumbersome during travel. Luckily, phone cameras are becoming good enough, and their low-light capabilities have become acceptable. Now, my S21 is my most versatile camera in my pocket wherever I go, and I can quickly share the photos with families and friends without them grudgingly waiting for me to edit and process the photos. Also, I come to learn that it's not the quality of the pixel that matters, it's the memory being captured that matters.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I used to use a Sony mirrorless and a Sony compact. Used to carry them whenever I travel. They are tedious, but I was more enthusiastic on the geeky stuff in RAW editing and pixel peeping back then. Life got busier, and these things become cumbersome during travel. Luckily, phone cameras are becoming good enough, and their low-light capabilities have become acceptable. Now, my S21 is my most versatile camera in my pocket wherever I go, and I can quickly share the photos with families and friends without them grudgingly waiting for me to edit and process the photos. Also, I come to learn that it's not the quality of the pixel that matters, it's the memory being captured that matters.

Exactly this is how I feel as well and have let go my DSLR a few years back when I took up phone photography as my personal challenge. Since then I’ve improved year over year learning the limitations and benefits of the phone cameras. Can’t say I made a mistake.

DSLR wilding people might scoff at me whipping my phone out everywhere and pretending like I want to capture a good shot but the end result always seems to be more than acceptable for me and the people I share with, including here in the photography forum in front of all of the talented photographers.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I love shooting with my Sony A1 and Sony A9 cameras. I just purchased the Sony 400mm 2.8 GM Lens and while it was crazy expensive I figured I can't take it with me plus I used a little inheritance money. Anyways, I'm pretty much done buying camera gear and probably be selling a few of my lenses that I don't use too much. My favorite lens is the Sony 35mm 1.4 lens and the Sony 400mm lens. The only probably now is the weather is turning colder here in Michigan.

Reactions: Hughmac

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
I own DSLR and ML cameras. In the last few years, I have been using my 'phone for taking 'snaps', particularly since I bought an iPhone last year. When on holiday recently, I noticed I reached for my 'phone to take pics, more often than my 'proper' camera. I will use those for more demanding situations, but my iPhone is now my most used camera. I wouldn't' give up the 'proper' cams, but the iPhone has definitely satisfied my want for a small, pocketable cam to have at all times.
While I'd love to convert to Nikon's "Z" mirrorless system (primarily for the Eye Focus feature) it's taken me 30 years to collect all the F-mount lenses I wanted (or thought I wanted). Not enough time left on this Plane to start over (and yes I know about the adapter thingie, but that's a bit too Rube-Goldberg).
Don't be put off; the FTZ allows you to use all those old lenses (the only major flaw is that lack of AF for perfectly good older mechanical AF lenses). You can also use a range of adapter son the Z cams, that allow the use of all sorts of other brands, such as Leica, Hasselblad etc. That larger lens mount also allows for improved lens designs; my 50mm f1.8 Z lens is streets ahead of any other 50mm Nikkor I've ever owned. Sharper, better colours, smoother transition to out of focus areas, etc. Better in every way. Z is the way forward.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I love shooting with my Sony A1 and Sony A9 cameras. I just purchased the Sony 400mm 2.8 GM Lens and while it was crazy expensive I figured I can't take it with me plus I used a little inheritance money. Anyways, I'm pretty much done buying camera gear and probably be selling a few of my lenses that I don't use too much. My favorite lens is the Sony 35mm 1.4 lens and the Sony 400mm lens. The only probably now is the weather is turning colder here in Michigan.

Congratulations on the 400mm f/2.8 prime!!!! WOOT!!!! I can imagine you will really enjoy using that lens. Maybe not so much opportunity in the winter for good shooting, although you could get some nice birds in the snow kinds of images, maybe, or glistening icicles hanging from roofs..... but yes, come next spring is when your new lens will really show its versatility in various shooting situations and you will have a blast with it.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
My main camera and the one I can't see myself parting with is the mirrorless Fuji X-Pro2. I also have a Fuji X-E4 which I use a fair amount and the Fuji X100F. Each one has a cross body strap and I never take a camera bag. Even when I'm out for the day I'll choose a lens and stick to that one. I do use my iPhone 13 mini when I want to send a picture to family or if I want to capture a scene that will change by the time I've got my camera. I would add that I shoot for pleasure, not as a professional.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I recently upgraded from an iPhone XR to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and I'm really impressed by the quality of the photos it takes. Since it's "the camera I always have with me," it's my primary camera. I have a Sony a6000 mirrorless camera and several lenses, which I use when I want to take the best-quality photos possible. However, my iPhone 14 Pro Max is good enough for the majority of photos that I, an enthusiast amateur, take. When I traveled pre-pandemic with my non-photographer wife/family/friends and took my Sony kit, I was conscious of slowing them down when I continually stopped to change lenses (I don't know why, but it seemed that every shot I wanted to take required a different lens). Then there's the weight and bulk of my Sony kit compared to my iPhone. The main thing I sacrifice is great bokeh, but I don't need that in the majority of my vacation shots.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Photos that I care about, the Fuji X-T3. I'm a sucker for crisp, high quality photos and lovely out of focus backgrounds.

I have a small bag that I take my camera out in, with only 1 lens. I'm not about taking multiple lens and swapping them about. Mainly use my XF33mmF1.4.

A rare photo of me snapping away:

PXL_20201129_115447350.MP_Original.jpg

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I’ve noticed recently that a lot of the pictures uploaded to the Photo of the Day thread have been taken on a mobile phone, and some great shots have been showcased.

This is absolutely not a criticism but an observation, presumably driven by the technical improvements in mobile phones, and I would truly be interested in what percentage of people use which type of camera as their main means of making pictures.
Times are changing, and while there will still be a lot of die hard dedicated camera users, this thread is not intended to become a mobile vs DSLR bashing contest.

As someone approaching senior citizenship, if I plan to go out and take photos I will carry my big camera, but on occasion I am without and therefore rely on my mobile to catch a scene.

Hope we can have fun with this and keep it civil ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
I use a mixture of mirrorless and iPhone , but the percentage is 5% iPhone and the 95% mirrorless

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I have a collection of old cameras, back to CCDs and 5MP P&S cameras. And film bodies too. I rotate through lots of those.

But if "main" is a criteria that goes by weight, then my medium format is the Big Dog. Emphasis on "big."

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I've been using various iPhones for making photos off and on since the 5s. And exclusively for the last 7 years. Am now shooting with a 14 PM.

I have a bunch of other cameras stored away (Arca-Swiss F-field 4x5, a couple of dSLRs, and a "mirrorless" or two).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If I am out and about and get inspiration I will use my iPhone. If I am out with a purpose it's the Sony.

uvafan1

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Hampton, Va
I shoot primarily with my Nikon D750 and Z50 for the bulk of my photography. I have used my iphone more and more lately while I am fishing.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Trying to transition to ML but I still find D-SLR a step above in handling and the weight-bulk save of the ML almost vanishes when you have to carry 1-2 extra batteries and bright primes.

I shoot Nikon and mostly primes on D-SLR, two zooms and adapted primes on ML, not yet ready to fully move to ML

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.