What type of network hub for Printer/Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markw10, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. markw10 macrumors 6502

    Sep 4, 2006
    I have a friend who has a Mac Mini and currently has two LAN cables she needs to use. One is for a Ethernet printer. The other is for a Internet connection (Comcast Cable Internet). For now she is constantly switching between the two and wants stop doing that.
    I suggested a network hub or switch but I'm wondering if it's as simple as that. If she purchases a hub or a switch if she simply connects to two cables into that will everything work fine? Any suggestions of a good but reasonably priced switch/hub?
    As well, will any changes need to be made on the computer itself or will this be automatic when both are connected?
    One last question: I know for home use I have a actual router but I have a home network and share the internet connection which she won't be using so I assume that is a router isn't necessary. Am I correct?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Ok so is your friend only using the printer? Or are there other people/computers connected to the printer? Cause I don't know why a USB cable wouldn't do the trick.

    Otherwise get a router and that will take care of it. A hub is a splitter of bandwidth as opposed to a router that directs traffic, so bandwidth is given to wherever its needed.

    Though I haven't used a hub for along time, and ultimately is a bit cheaper than a router, but it never hurts to have a router around.

Share This Page