What type of RAM memory is this (PIC)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hadi27, Jan 6, 2010.

1. hadi27 macrumors newbie

I was removing my ram out of my macbook and I was trying to figure out what make and model this is.

I can't come up with what exactly this item is. I have two of these installed in my macbook equally 4gb total.

A picture is attached.

Thanks guys

edit: Keep reading. have another question

Attached Files:

2. belvdr macrumors 603

It's Micron RAM. Simply Google the part number (mt16htf25664hy). Not to mention, the big M with a circle around is a dead giveaway.

3. hadi27 thread starter macrumors newbie

My macbook right now has the 667 ddr2 2gb memory. There are two of these totalling 4gb in total

If i get the new macbook which has the 1066 ddr3 memory with two 1gb's, will I be able to get my old 667 ddr2 memory sticks to fit and work in there? will it be stable?

can i later upgrade lets say one of the sticks and have one 667 ddr2 2gb stick and another 4gb 1066 ddr3 stick working together to make 6gb?! will that be stable?

4. belvdr macrumors 603

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

ddr2 and ddr3 have a different number of pins; not going to work

6. chill. macrumors 6502

7. hadi27 thread starter macrumors newbie

MAnnnnnnn :( are you serious! ahhh so i cant even have two of 667 memory sticks? Ok forget have one of each but what if i put my memory sticks in the new macbook.

The macbook I plan on putting these in is the new macbook that came out with the rounded unibody shell and LED screen and 7 hour battery life.

Mine also has the Penryn chipset and is this one to be exact.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...duo-2.0-white-13-early-2009-nvidia-specs.html

I believe you are correct as mine has a min. bus speed of 667 but the new one has 1067! man thats not fair :( now i have to get more!

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Those 667s will not work in that machine, the pins are different.

9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

You can try and force them in... You'll break something though. :rolleyes:

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

And it won't be covered by warranty.

11. hadi27 thread starter macrumors newbie

true it will break but as far "covered by warranty" goes ill try to talk my way out of it :cool: but lets not go there lol

I removed 2gb worth of memory earlier today and im noticing when i shut down and restart now, it takes forever to do so. It just sits there shutting down or restarting but not actually doing so....

Is this due to me removing memory? Will it be fixed by putting the memory back in? Can it be fixed by resetting the PMU (SMC since i have an intel based macbook)?

Thanks

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well, have you done anything else to the machine that would cause it to slow down? Probably not, so yes it most likely is cause by only having one stick of RAM (and 2gb vs 4gb) of RAM.

13. hadi27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I put the other 2gb back in and now its back to 4gb but it is still taking forever to shut down and restart.

Any suggestions? reason i ask is I am trying to sell this today....Should i reset the SMC?

If i reinstall the OS X will that help?