What type of Speakers do I want?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jimbob 2705, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Jimbob 2705 macrumors newbie

Looking at buying some speakers for my iMac, just to play music through really, with the odd video or two.

I was hoping that I could connect it the 5.1 surround sound (in the same room) and play it through there, but having found that most (if not all) music is 2 channel, it is only playing through the 2 front speakers and subwoofer. Now these are over by the TV, whereas the iMac is on the other side of the room, so it doesn't work too well.

Having done some research it looks like there is no way to get music to play through all 5 of the speakers (rears as well), so it looks like I need to get some new speakers.

Just to confirm, there is no way to get all 5 speakers playing music?

Should I be looking at 2.1 Speakers?

If I am, does anyone have any suggestions? Not looking at spending a massive amount, probably £150 max if I am honest.

I like the following types of Music; Dubstep, Hiphop/Rap, Dance, Pop….so basically quite bassy music

These are on the shortlist so far :

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H1044ZM/A/edifier-prisma-e3350-21-speakers?fnode=4f

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HC096ZM/A/bose-companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-speakers?fnode=4f

I see the Bose ones don't have a subwoofer though.

Many Thanks,

James

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is space an issue? With speakers the bigger is usually better, so those nicely designed small speakers are often not the best especially for their price. If you have space on the desk, I'd look for near-field monitors instead of regular speakers. I personally have Behringer's B2030P, although since they're passive you also need to get an amplifier increases the cost (but will allow you to add a subwoofer later on, for instance). There are active models too, some even have a subwoofer output if you want to add one later on. How much are you willing to spend?

3. Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

No, space isn't an issue. I've got space on the desk possibly, or they would fit underneath fine.

My budget is about £150, but I don't mind spending slightly more if this is a decent setup which could be used say for a party, not just for my computer.

Thanks!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The positioning of the speakers is a crucial element to the overall experience, so you really shouldn't put them under the desk. You should position them so that the sound comes straight towards your head for the best sound quality. Here are the active version of the monitors I have. They may be a little out of your price range but they are also good.

5. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Audioengine

Literally blown away by my a5+'s they are Amazing.

6. mario24601 macrumors regular

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you really insist on 5.1-channel music playback, then most surround receivers can DSP your stereo music into all speakers.
    Originally recorded in surround are just concert DVDs and BluRays but there rarely comes anything except ambience from the rears.
    Pink Floyd had some quadraphonically recorded (ie really mastered in surround sound) LPs but I've no idea if they also have made it into digital age.

8. bristolgadget macrumors newbie

i have always found the modern powered speaker setups for computers to be all style and no substance.

if you want a good, powerful clean sound, you need to be looking at active studio monitor speakers. They can be AMAZING and pack a good punch for their small size.

They also come with a lot of shielding to keep interference to a minimum.Be careful when researching, a lot of them are single prices. Also, you will need to get a 3.5mm jack to twin XLR (balanced /shielded) to connect to most of these speakers as everything in studios is XLR.

i have had a pair of these in the past, very good little speakers.

M-Audio BX5 D2 Active Studio Monitors (Pair)
    http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/M-Audio_BX5_D2_Active_Studio_Monitors_(Pair)/MM-9900-65174-08

9. Jimbob 2705, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for all the help!

I've looked at the speakers recommended, and some of them look ideal.

I like the look of the AudioEngine A2, What do people think of them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioengine...6515440&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=audio+engine+2+

£165

These are really as much as I want to pay if I am honest.

I also like the look of the M-Audio BX5 D2 which Bristol Gadget mentioned :

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/M-Audio_BX5_D2_Active_Studio_Monitors_(Pair)/MM-9900-65174-08

How would these compare the the AudioEngines A2's?

I also see that there is a M-Audio AV40 for £100 :

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/StudiophileAV40.html

What would be the advantage of the BX5's over these?

I'd also be interested if anyone else has anymore recommendations!

Thanks again!

James

10. kaibob, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

kaibob macrumors regular

If you decide on AudioEngine, I would wait until the A2+ speakers are available in the UK. They are more than you want to spend, but the internal DAC and other new features are worth the $50.00 price increase IMO. I do not know anything about the other speakers.

EDIT

The AudioEngine A2+ speakers are currently available for purchase from the audioengineusa.com site. I don't know if they are available in the UK.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

11. mario24601 macrumors regular

I was waiting for a2+ but after emailing company was not clear when they would be released. They are already delayed. I've had a2 for almost a year and really like them. Not HUGE sound like a 3.1 or higher system but have great clear sound perfect for occasionally music and movies. Good pair for 27in imac.

----------

Ha just saw a2+ now shipping so I'd go with that unless you want to buy my gently used a2 ;)

12. linds15 macrumors 6502a

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your receiver/processor should be able to do so. That said, you may not prefer it. I can't stand it myself and switch our surround system to stereo/2.1 for music. YMMV as it's a matter of preference.

Again, your call. It's a matter of preference. Some are happy with 2.0 setups. Even which speakers to choose are a matter of preference. Ideally, you'd select based on experience with the options since sound is such a subjective thing. However that isn't always practical.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Good ones.

15. meistervu macrumors 65816

Good advice. Can't go wrong if you get good ones ;)

I am listening to my Audio Engine A2. They are truly awesome even for a good size room. I had mine connected to both AirPlay via an Airport Express and a MacPro, but now just AirPlay. It's a great setup because you can be anywhere in the room and with an Airplay capable device - laptop, iPhone, iPad, and get awesome sounds. I set mine up higher on the wall behind the desk so that when I sit at the desk, it's not too loud, and when I move around the room, it is loud enough.