What type of video camera should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rannic, Oct 24, 2010.

1. rannic macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook running OX X 10.6.4. My current video camera uses firewire which my MacBook doesn't... So, I am planning to buy a new video camera. I don't know much about technology! What I want to know is what is a good video camera that will be easy to transfer video to my MacBook and use in iMovie without any hassle? I would like to keep my total cost (including tax, and any necessary add-ons) to under $500. Any suggestions??

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. steeler macrumors regular

I like the newer camcorders that use SDHC memory cards instead of tape. Much easier to deal with the files and $500 should be plenty to get a decent one. If you are in the U.S.A. and can wait a month, there should be some good ones on sale for Black Friday.

4. Barnzee macrumors regular

Canon Rebel T2i

If you can afford it, spend a little extra money on a DSLR like the T2i. Why? the T2i takes beautiful HD video, and you will also have a camera to experiment with photography at the entry level.

I personally went through about three 1000$ camcorders from both Sony and Canon and just wasn't satisfied. After playing with the T2i it was a deal breaker.

Though it is a little out of your price range, it's a worthy investment. I would recommend saving a little more and getting something of quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvLU-btnOWU
    I shot this with the Canon T2i Rebel, edited with imovie

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

lol she/he wants to keep the total price under 500$, the t2i kit is easily 1k (including tax etc)....lol but it is an amazing camera.