What type of Virus Protection for my Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roshambeau, Aug 23, 2008.

1. roshambeau macrumors member

I am a relatively new Mac user(I've had my MBP for about 4 months now). On my old PC i used Symantic(spelling?) anti-virus software. The reason for using was for the simplicity of the software, yet it was effective.

My question is, what kind of anti-virus software is comparable to that of Symantic? I'm mostly interested in general file scanning ability.

Also, is there any very effective anti-spyware type software out there for Mac?

2. jeffmorr macrumors member

NONE, you dont need any, i have been using macs all my life, i never had a single problem that could relate to viruses or spyware

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will be fine without any... but the recommendation above will be sufficient to scan files that you might share with Windows users so as not to pass something along to them.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. rcd213 macrumors newbie

As of right now, there is no need for any antivirus/spyware software, just like what others have said above. This was one of the selling points for me when I decided to switch recently from my thinkpad to a MB. Definitely a great decision.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You don't need any.

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i use ClamX and run it about once a month just for piece of mind. it has never detected anything.

8. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Another relatively new one is iAntiVirus, which is also free, and reviewed in this months Mac Format magazine. Norton do one too but that costs.

It's all very well to say "I've never needed one" or "Macs don't get virus's", but it is inevitable that they will one day, so keeping aware of the threats and the tools used to protect against them doesn't do any harm.

9. RevK macrumors member

+1 - iAntiVirus is GREAT. It is very unobtrusive and uses very little CPU. 0.0% and sometimes 0.1% :D