What updates do I need to Install for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kevinoh33, Apr 9, 2010.

1. kevinoh33 macrumors member

I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium and the Boot Camp 3.1 Update on my MacBook Pro. What other updates do I need to install? Are there things that I need to do/uninstall?

The battery seems to be draining a lot quicker than when I'm on OSX, is there anyway to fix this?

There's also some weird noise coming from my MacBook Pro when I'm on Windows. I can't really explain it but it's like some kind of a scratchy noise. I ejected all my disks, so I don't think it's coming from the super drive.

The scrolling of the trackpad seems go really fast and just a little stroke makes the page scroll all the way to the bottom. Is there anyway I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Norton74 macrumors newbie

Norton74

From what I've read that all you need to do is make sure you have updated Boot Camp. As for the battery Windows will use a lot more resources which uses the processor more and subsequently drain the battery that much faster. If you notice in the Best Buy adds the battery times for a Mac and a Windows laptop have been almost twice on the Mac. Mac's don't hog the CPU and RAM nearly as much. You can adjust the power levels by clicking on the battery icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your task bar. From there you can choose from balanced, power saver or high performance.

The clicking in your machine is probably the hard drive parking the head. Mine makes noise also, but if it sounds like it's getting worse keep backing up all your data and see what happens, or you can clone the drive image onto a new drive.
    Your mouse issue can easily be fixed by going to the control panel and selecting "mouse" and from there make the adjustments to slow it down.

3. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks!