what updates should i stay away from?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soccerjoe5, Apr 26, 2008.

1. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

Hi guys, just got my MBP 2.2 refurb last week and i'm really enjoying it. i use it mostly for photography and am looking into installing XP for some games :)

now to the question: what are the updates you recommend and what should i stay away from?

i ask this because i read a lot of people having those sleep issues and problems with the graphics and keyboard updates. i installed pretty much everything but those two and my MBP seems to have no issues at all (thank goodness).

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Erm, none? The updates are mostly for bug fixes and you will eventually need to update anyway to get the 'bigger' updates.

3. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

you've no problems with any of the updates? any sleep issues?

4. a4abt macrumors regular

when there's an update available, I search on forums for possible side effects and issues. If I don't find anything, then I install the update.

10.5.2 with its external monitor issue made me search before installing new updates.

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

My rule; install every update. Why? I've never had a problem caused by an Apple update alone, just 3rd party software after an update.

Even if you don't update now, you're going to need to in the future.

6. kflook macrumors member

I do them all. I've done every update on mine for over 2 years and never had an issue.

7. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

I have yet to have an update cause an issue. I highly recommend installing all updates available through Software Update.

Like the guy above me said, most problems caused by updates are the result of poorly constructed 3rd party applications, not the update itself.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

None at all.

As a previous poster noted, it's a good rule of thumb to read through others' experiences before taking the plunge, especially with bigger updates.

9. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! :)

10. TaylorB macrumors regular

The only update problems i've had was when I was using an external monitor which could have been partly my fault for leaving it in. Any update you do, I would suggest unplugging everything except the magsafe and then proceed with the updates.