Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sstathius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Probably like everyone else on this forum right now, I'm buying a new iMac on Friday. Probably unlike everyone else, I have no idea what I'm buying. I've never owned a Mac before, but I'm fed up with PCs. My question is what model and what upgrades do I need? I intend to mainly use it for very baisc things like iTunes, Microsoft Office, watching movies, etc. I am also getting into Photoshop and video and music editing more and more. The main thing I'm looking for is longevity. The past few computers I've had lasted about 1.5-2 years before they started to limp along. I'm looking for this one to make it to about 4 years before the limping starts. How neccessary is the i7, fusion drive, and 16gb ram for these things? Thanks in advance.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Probably like everyone else on this forum right now, I'm buying a new iMac on Friday. Probably unlike everyone else, I have no idea what I'm buying. I've never owned a Mac before, but I'm fed up with PCs. My question is what model and what upgrades do I need? I intend to mainly use it for very baisc things like iTunes, Microsoft Office, watching movies, etc. I am also getting into Photoshop and video and music editing more and more. The main thing I'm looking for is longevity. The past few computers I've had lasted about 1.5-2 years before they started to limp along. I'm looking for this one to make it to about 4 years before the limping starts. How neccessary is the i7, fusion drive, and 16gb ram for these things? Thanks in advance.

Forget about i7, Go with the fusion, 8GB is fine and its something you can always upgrade later yourself for cheaper (upgradable only if you choose 27")

Decision on the screen rests in your hands and your budget.

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012

Go with the base level 27 inch iMac and configure it with a Fusion Drive.
Then you can later upgrade the ram if you need to.

sstathius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
I assumed the i7 was the reason everyone was waiting for the new iMacs? It seems like everyone is in favor of the fusion and I really like the way it works, but how neccessary is it? I didn't intend on getting the 27" screen because I don't think I need that, especially for the cost, but the ability to upgrade the RAM if need be makes it more appealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.