What upgrades will the new MBP bring?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrokenE, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BrokenE macrumors regular

Folks,

I'm in the market for a MBP and was just wondering what you think the new MBP will bring. MT is probably a sure thing and so is a faster processor. I was also hoping it would be better designed for disipating heat. I've heard several complain that it gets toasty on the bottom side. Any thoughts?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well it is designed for dissipating heat. That heat just happens to have no where to go but your lap.

I wouldn't expect much more than a speed bump and multitouch.

3. Mac One macrumors member

The speculation being thrown around from other threads include:

• Penryn processor, 2.5/2.6/2.8(?)
    • 256/512mb VRAM
    • MT

It is most likely that a case redesign will come later in the year with the release of the Montevina platform

4. Srestrepo macrumors member

Penryn is the next step for MBP, and I agree, I think MBP will be redesigned but only in terms of weight ( Montevina and Penryn exert less heat or I should say require less power, so my guess would be they compact everything like they did with the Macbook Air).

5. BrokenE thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I guess we'll see what's up on the 22nd.

6. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

What is on the 22nd?

7. thinkband macrumors regular

Probably nothing. People believe there will be a MBP update announcement very soon.

8. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I can see dropping the optical drive. It's amazing how obsolete CD's have become. Just the other day I was trying to transfer some audio files I had and didn't realize I had a few Gigs of data. Doing the math I would have needed like 8 cd's or something crazy like that. Not sure how I lived with those damn things my whole life lol.

9. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

is there something that indicates that apple will do anything on the 22nd? If they did anything in what remains of January, wouldn't it be more likely that they'd do something around PMA 2008 starting January 30?

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

People are just looking at the calendar and saying "wait 'till next Tuesday" over and over again. Meanwhile, the rest of us go on using our computers instead of trying to have The Newest Thing, and we end up loads happier for it. :D

11. Mac One macrumors member

They will drop the optical drive, but probably not for about two years. Though hardly anyone needs CDs or DVDs to store/backup data, the optical drive is needed run some older software and install current ones. It'll be a while yet before all software is download only.

12. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

I don't blame you for that - it's good to be happy with whatever you have rather than debating endless 'what ifs.' In my case, however, my PB may be four years old, but it still works and I'm happy with it (knock on wood). So I just don't see a point in upgrading until either a) something breaks or b) apple refreshes with something new.

13. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

You're welcome to have your own opinion but in my case, this will be the first BRAND NEW mac I will be buying (my previous G4 Powerbook was bought off ebay), and as such, if I'm buying a brand new laptop that I've worked damn hard to pay for, I want it to be the best, and I don't want it to be outdated in a short space, therefore, I will wait until it is updated.

14. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

If it's just a speed boost, I'd only expect a processor change, larger HDD, and maybe a graphics card boost. The MBA's MT pad is larger than the MBP's, so Apple probably won't put that in until they redesign the MBP's case.

If we get a case redesign, which I wouldn't expect for a few months, I'd also expect:
    - User replaceable HDD.
    - Magnetic latch.
    - New style keyboard.
    - Possibly get rid of the internal optical drive, and either include the air's external superdrive, or have it an optional purchase.

15. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

All that I care about, is that it has a user-replaceable hard-drive like the MacBook. Everything else is a bonus.

I'm not sure i'll get another laptop, as this PowerBook G4 is still running like day one, and i'm kinda frustrated with the lack of upgradeability anyway.

For almost the same money as a middle MacBook Pro, I can get the standard Mac Pro 8-Core and that will last me 5 years at least.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's not going to happen on a full-sized Pro laptop.

Good luck carrying that around.

17. tuneman07 macrumors regular

Maybe I'm crazy but anyone think they will offer a computer with no hard drive or RAM? The HD/RAM on the MB are so easily replaceable, and sooooo much cheaper from other places I found myself wanting a base model with neither included.

18. Ryanb1281 macrumors member

blu-ray

I kind of think that apple will ADD blu-ray to the MBP before they remove the optical drive altogether.

19. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Ummm, you must have failed to read my post properly as you were so excited to reply with a snide and cocky remark.

I said I already had a PowerBook G4 that works like it did on day one.

It would compliment a Mac Pro...

Desktop and laptop...

Get it?

20. Bigewilson macrumors newbie

Mt

multi touch is a software upgrade why are we letting them sell it to us like it was hardware. I say we learn how to talk to these chips and make our own OS. Personally I enjoy building kits, it doesn't pay well but there's no one cutting you down all the time. Anyone want to cut class and actually do something? We may be able to trade our way up the knowledge totem pole but it's not going to happen at school.