What upgrades would make you buy a new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thehost250, May 29, 2010.

1. thehost250 macrumors newbie

I was just curious due to the numerous posts about the 2010 (maybe) Mac Pros. Many people already have very powerful Pros so what features would a new model have to have in order to make you buy a new one? If you're completely satisfied with your current machine then what difference would it make if a new one comes out? New cars come out every year but very few people actually go and buy a new one just because there's a new model. I'm just curious to what the responses would be. Personally, the hexacore issue is irrelevant if the software available cannot utilize all of the cores. I have an 8 core machine and the software made by Apple (Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro 9) do not use all 8 cores yet so why the rush to get more cores that the software will not use?

2. GiantDolphin macrumors member

more cores mean faster rendering times for serious CG animation software. Faster rendering means less headaches on deadlines.

3. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Technology to justify the price of the Mac Pro. That's all. Putting an outdated, $100 GPU in a $3,300 computer shouldn't even be allowed.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Well, for one, some software (Compressor, After Effects) already does use it.

For another, the next version of Final Cut Studio should leverage multicore and GPGPU like never before.

Finally, more cores is nice if you like to run multiple resource hungry applications at a time, like I have done in the past.

Additionally, people are hoping for more features in the new machines other than cores - new ports, a much better throughput from the hardware controller...

CPUs are the most marketed feature of a computer, but for true professionals, just one small part of the puzzle. And on this forum, people want all of the things I've listed, because there are a few flaws with the current Mac Pros we'd like to see addressed.

Also, a current GPU (we're hoping for a 5870) would be nice, too.

5. persolo macrumors newbie

Here is what I think Apple should do:
    - lower the price of the base model
    - let there be 6-core BTO
    - better default GPU and better upgrades
    - 1.5TB harddrive std
    - let 8GB RAM be default

If all of these is coming I'll end up buying one...

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Apple is in the business of including bare minimum to maximize profit. If they don't think they have to, there is no way they will up the RAM and HDD default specs.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Too true. It's kind of funny that the lowest level basic 13" MBP comes with 4GB of RAM standard while the monster Mac Pro comes with 3GB of RAM standard.

It's probably an artifact of the Mac Pro not being updated in so long.

8. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

I'd like to see blu-ray burning, esata 2, 6 drive bays and 3 optical bays, 8gb ram and 2 TB hd's, and 3.33 GHz processors as standard for $2500 or less.
    More USB ports and USB3 would be nice.

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Or the fact that the 2GB modules were deemed too expensive to include.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Bingo. :D