What upgrades would you recommend for my older Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anharper, Feb 5, 2010.

1. anharper macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2010
    I have a Macbook OSX version 10.4.11 with a 2GHz Intel Core, 512MB 667 MHz memory, 80gig capacity. Purchased in spring of '06 for $2100. I want to keep this computer running nicely and at a fast speed for as long as I can. Like an old dependable car.
    I want to make some upgrades to make sure the software stays relevant with technology and to ensure that I am taking care of it properly. Right now, I basically use it just for the internet and music. But will soon be using it for school (Industrial Design major).
    I do not know much of anything about what sort of upgrades I should do. (Applecare has expired also)
    Any suggestions/tips will be GREATLY appreciated! I have about $300-$400 to work with.

Also- the only two problems with my computer are:
    Only stays on when plugged in. (Getting a new battery)
    CD drive does not work. (Liquid damage) But I rarely have the need for it anyways.
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Buy 2X1GB of RAM to max it out. Use an external DVD writer if you need that, they are only $50. Get a bigger HD, at least 320GB.
  3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2006
    Up the ram to 2GB (I think thats the max ur MB supports?), a faster hard drive, and snow leopard. All these wont cost u more than $150 - depending on wut hard drive u will get.
  4. brendu macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2009
    ram ram ram, then snow leopard, if you have another mac you can use its disc drive, a bigger HDD might help too...
  5. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2009
    Ram (2gb is your max i think) Snow leopard and then a nice juicy HDD to fill [​IMG]
  6. Bbusyb macrumors member

Sep 11, 2009
    Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
    A few suggest upgrades

1) Battery (As you say, you need that to call it a laptop)

2) More Ram. Get the max Supported for your model, 2GB or 4GB as that will boost performance tremendously.

3) Hard drive - do to a 320GB or 500GB hard drive, as they can be had for less then $100.

4) Snow Leopard - Suggest you do a clean install on the New Drive and then transfer all you data to it using the Transfer wizard to get a complet clean install

5) External DVD Drive - Buy or borrow a External USB DVD Drive to Install the new OS , etc. Good ones can be had starting at $30+.
  7. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    upgrading the ram will without doubt give you the most immediate user experience upgrade.

Other than that its just the standard stuff mentioned above