What UPS is better for the Mac Pro in these circumstances

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newmacuser23, Dec 29, 2010.

1. newmacuser23 macrumors member

I have been having problems with power in my area lately so I think it is a wise move to get a UPS in the interests of protecting my Mac Pro and data.

I would like to get one that if the power goes out could switch my Mac to battery power long enough until the power comes back or so I can power it down safely.

Which UPS with this feature is best for the Mac Pro?

I also live in the UK as well.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

It all depends on your budget, but at any rate, APC devices are pretty much the best you can get.

Personally, I use a SmartUPS 1400 for my Pro and a BackUPS 650 for peripherals. Gives me more than enough time to save my documents and power it down (45m +).

Some people with very bad power lines say that a SmartUPS is mandatory for the computer, but I've been using BackUPS for years before just fine.
    So I'd say start with a BackUPS and see how it works. They are considerably cheaper.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

We have an APC SmartUPS 1000 connected to our Mac Pro and 3 24" monitors. It shows a ~40% load during normal load if that helps you figure out what horsepower you need. For us, we just need minutes not hours to make sure everything is saved and powered down.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

For systems with Active PFC based PSU's (such as the MP), you're better off with a Pure Sine wave inverter. The APC Backups units are not (stepped inverters), and they can actually cause damage to the system's PSU as a result. Within the Pure Sine Wave output units, there's 2x types; Line Interactive, and Online/Double Conversion (more expensive, as they're always running off of the batteries + inverter).

If the cost of an Online/Double conversion unit is too much, stick with the SmartUPS line from APC, or similar (Line Interactive with a Pure Sine wave inverter design). :)

BTW, for the budget concious, refurbished units are a good idea (I use them all the time). I'm just not sure how available they are in the UK (but there's other brands too, such as Tripp Lite or Eaton that are good if you can't find APC).

Hope this helps. :)