What UPS should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ironjaw, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ironjaw macrumors 6502

So the inevitable happened, first a month ago my digital satelite tuner broke because I believe of electrical spark or something in my apartment and then yesterday my plasma 42" went the same way.

I knew that I should invest in a surge protector/ups but I went on vacation and promised myself to buy one as soon as I come back which was yesterday.

Any advice on a goood surge/ups protector, my electric installation in the apartment is doubtful and I've tried to contact the owner as I'm renting without avail. But he does not want to do anything about it - cheap b******!

My new iMac 24 2.8 GHz is coming on soon so I want to protect it as much as I can.

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

APC makes a good UPS. I recently purchased my second unit from them, the first lasting for about 5 yrs before it went out. They can be little pricey, but well worth the cost, and the peace of mind is of course priceless. :)

3. BenHoleton macrumors regular

4. Vynce macrumors newbie

I've had good luck with refurbished APC Smart UPS's from RefurbUPS

The Smart UPS 700 is plenty for one or two computers. You can get a larger capacity model for longer runtime though. These are high-end true sine-wave output UPS's.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Avoid a brand new APC UPS but if you can buy refurbished models, that helps, since they have far too many quality problems.

I've had better luck with Belkin and overall, I don't trust their products completely.

6. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Go to apc.com and use their UPS selector tool to decide what model/spec the UPS you need should have. Then go buy APC or any other brand of your choice with those specs. :)

7. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I'm using an APC Smart-UPS 1000 (white) and it works great for me. Since they're a bit old, you can find them cheap on eBay.