What upsets me about Apple....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saltyzoo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Let me preface. I'm a huge fan. I own 4 Macs, an iPhone, iPad, and apple tv..... I own 0 windows products.

But every now and then I have to vent about what annoys me about Apple....

I have a moderately aged Mac Pro that's still got tons of horsepower and isn't that outclassed by the modern equipment. But I can't run the latest OSX on it.

I can run a VM on it that runs the latest OSX, and if I put it all on a nice SSD it'll run pretty much as fast as a latest iMac. But I can't install the latest OSX natively on the equipment. Simply because Apple either doesn't want to test it, or wants to force me to buy a newer computer, or some other random unknown reason. The equipment is clearly able to handle the OS since it can run well in a VM.

A

Noy

Ing.

And as annoying as that is, Windows is still not an option.

/rant

Happy Holidays everybody!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

While I agree with you that this is annoying, there is a good reason for it: The vendor of the GPU that came with that Mac Pro refuses to make 64-bit drivers for it, which are required to boot the 64-bit ML kernel in a usable state.

3. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Depends which GPU you have. You can throw a GTX 680, which is in the Top 5 of the best GPUs out there in a MP 1.1 and it works.

@OP: You can install ML, but it requires some fiddling. But it shoudln't be too hard. But yes, I totally agree with you, this thing is total ********. Although, you're not missing much with ML. It's crap in general.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411105

4. nxtlukas macrumors newbie

in comparison to that, the '07 MBP still supports the newest OS as it is the oldest model supporting 64bit. I'm pretty lucky with that model...