Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey guys- I own two iPod pros 2018, both sizes and I love them. I’m wondering about the new model next year with that rumored ToF sensor. On iPhone I could see the use case for better portrait pix or even AR apps. But on iPad? Would this be a big enough reason for you to upgrade? If you were me, would you sell one iPad in advance maybe?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey guys- I own two iPod pros 2018, both sizes and I love them. I’m wondering about the new model next year with that rumored ToF sensor. On iPhone I could see the use case for better portrait pix or even AR apps. But on iPad? Would this be a big enough reason for you to upgrade? If you were me, would you sell one iPad in advance maybe?
Only for the better POV.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you see no use case for this camera I see no reason to change devices.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

You have iPod Pros! Wow :) Love that!

Anyway, I’m guessing it will be for AR and video, like - imagine green screen effects without the green screen. Record, add effects, edit, publish right on the iPad. Also, I can imagine some motion capture uses too. You know these suits with dots that actors wear for digital characters? That, but without the suit.

And they could be setting up the stage for future products, like the rumored glasses.

Honestly, I think current iPad Pros are so good, Apple is running out of things to improve in a noticeable, significant way, so - like the iPhone - they are going for the camera. Personally, I wish they added haptics to the iPad, don’t know if that’s possible.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
Personally, I rarely use the camera on my iPP. I'm thinking maybe less than ten times over the last year. If that's the only reason for the upgrade, then I'll pass. But your use case may be different than mine. If so, then you may want to sell one of them, though I'd guess that the earliest we'll see the new Pros is March. Until then, enjoy them; I'd love to have a 12.9 to go along with my 11!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.