All iPads What use is iPad 1 64GB with 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by phillymacuser, May 31, 2014.

1. phillymacuser macrumors member

The title sums up my question. We currently have (2) iPad Mini's 16GB w/o retina, iPhone 5c 32GB and finally iPhone 5 16GB. At this point the trade-in and resale value is almost $0 on our original iPad. It seems so slow in almost everything at this point.

Any suggestions on a feasible use that we may not have thought about?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you use any home automation devices you could mount it on the wall as a control panel.

If anyone in your family cooks you could use it as a cookbook with an under cabinet mount.

Just a few ideas.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Use it as a dedicated kitchen terminal or GPS or something?

4. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

Why don't you try restoring it from scratch and then load a few apps, it should help.

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

What you can do with it also depends on the iOS version on it. Some apps need more up to date versions to get the most recent/functional versions of the apps. So, you may not be able to get the most up to date versions of some apps, but I believe you can get the version of apps that best apply to the iOS version you have.

As for what you can do with that iPad, one idea I have is to turn it into a TV. We almost exclusively use an iPad 2 as our kitchen/portable TV using an app from our cable company. The iPad is still on iOS 5.x.x (I'm not sure which but definitely not 6) so you may be able to do something like that.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I still have my day-1 iPad 1. It is now being used as the internals of a vintage TV. I jailbroke it so that I can bypass the lockscreen. (Lockscreen image is "static"). I use OPlayerHD video player to play a video playlist of vintage TV programs and commercials. It continuously plays (even when the power button is pressed) so every time I turn it on, it is in a random spot in the playlist.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to my blog post describing the project.

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You could always hold out hope that Target will do the same deal they did late last year where they gave out $200 gift cards for them.

8. phillymacuser thread starter macrumors member

Thats a very interesting use! Many thanks!

----------

Yeah that would be great! A $100 would even have me jumping for joy!

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

netstream eyetv

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd be pleased to purchase your iPad for $100.00. I'd even include an extra $10. for postage.
    PM me if you're truly interested.

11. rouxeny macrumors 6502

My nephew still has tons of fun on my old ipad 1. Plants vs zombies seems to work fine.

If you don't have a use for it, give it to a kid.

12. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

13. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

iPad Gen1

We have an old 32gb+3g gen 1 ipad recently orphaned due to newer kit. It is still OK for netflix and as a sonos controller. It isnt costing you anything and isnt going to make any money... stick it on a stand and use it in the kitchen for netflix or something...

14. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Your posts sir are a waste of bandwidth. How about some 'read only' for you? ...

@ topic - if resale value is almost 0 and you don't have a need for it anymore how about giving it to a social project (... they can still find a use for it)?

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

16. 960design macrumors 68020

Put is in a matted frame with a dedicated plug ( hidden behind preferrably ), use it as a picture frame to show fine works of art ( Mona Lisa, ect ) or family vacation photos.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm having a blast with that and is a real conversation piece. A few weeks ago we had some friends over who brought their kids (ages 2-10) and they were glued to this ancient artifact watching vintage episodes of "Lost in Space". The best part was when they were watching vintage commercials from the 70's and ran to their parents wanting the toys and games they saw. :)

But if you're looking for less adventurous uses, get a wall-mount, mount it in a well trafficked area of the house:
    - digital family noteboard. There are some apps that mimic a whiteboard, nice for leaving a quick note.

- weather / news station. Load an app that rotates the display of local news and weather.

- digital turntable. Similar to my vintage TV, load up a virtual turntable app and install the iPad in a portable record player case. With 64GB capacity you can store quite a lot of music.

- digital fishtank.

- digital webcam monitor. Have it monitor one of the publicly accessible webcams... Africam (or whatever is the one that shows a natural preserve in Africa), beach cams (I used to stream Ron Jon's Surf Shack beach cam), etc.

18. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Cookbook, GPS, travel email device, kids toy. Still plenty of uses.

19. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I use mine for email and a handful of hobby apps. Safari tends to crash, but Chrome is pretty stable.

The kitchen is a great idea. I have a several cookbooks on Kindle, and it's never crashed.

You also could use it to feed an AV system, such as from Pandora or iTunes. I've never had those crash.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Keep it you car for on the go use? Or perhaps leave it around for guests to use?

Lots are uses; personally I gave mine away to a friend.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

So you can don't have to look at that small screen trying to see what you're texting while driving.

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

What :confused:

24. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

What use is iPad 1 64GB with 3G?

Sorry that dosent make a whole lot of sense.
    It will just be easier to see what you're typing on an iPad vs an iphone when driving.