What version iOS comes on factory sealed 4S's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

2. BlueDragon22 macrumors 6502

BlueDragon22

It depends when it was manufactured/shipped from Apple. It could be running iOS 5, iOS 6, iOS 7, or maybe iOS 8 in a rare case.

I'd bet iOS 7. It was discontinued in September 2014, so that makes the most sense.

If the seller knows when it was purchased, then you can sort of estimate what it'll be running. I purchased my iPad 2 back in December 2013 and it shipped with iOS 7

3. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Get the serial number, then you can figure out when it was manufactured (which would help pin down which OS was installed).

4. alirod macrumors newbie

Judging from the box I assume it's an iOS 5 device, since it shows the YouTube and Google Maps app.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Most likely a stock photo and not of the actual product. I'd guess it comes with iOS 7, as most of the remaining new iPhone 4s stock does (the 4s was discontinued shortly before the release of iOS 8).

6. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

7. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not 7 and definitely not 8. I'm really not liking where Apple is going with their iPhone OS. So much so that I actually prefer my wife's 4S (which used to be mine). Too bad she does too and won't give it up, haha.

I could have lived with 7, but made the mistake of updating to 8.4 on my 5C. Gawd, the horror...

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it is really a 32GB version and hasn't been updated like the eBay listing says then it likely comes with iOS 5. When the iPhone 5 was released apple discontinued all sizes of the 4S above 16GB. iOS 6 was released a couple days before launch day for the iPhone 5, but I would be surprised if any 32GB 4S's shipped with it.

Also if it really has been sitting in the box unused that long the battery is likely gone or almost gone on it.

9. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I agree. If it is as advertised, the iOS would be 5.something.

It may not mean anything, but the ad's description says it was released on 11/11/2011.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

According to Wikipedia that was the date that the 4S was released in the US so you could buy it without a contract, before that it was on contract only and not unlocked.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's like playing a scratch ticket.
    You might get lucky, you might not.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you get it I'd assume it is coming with iOS 5, and I'm sure you know, but just in case you don't you have to stick with whatever version it comes with or update to iOS 9 on it as apple won't let you upgrade to anything but the newest version that it can support.

13. Broadus macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I've upgraded to iOS 9 and am pleasantly surprised with it.