What version of FCE can run on a G4?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Quincer5000, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Quincer5000 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm wondering what version i will have to get for my powermac G4. I want to make short films and creative films, but I need the right version to edit HD video from the hf100 and is able to run on my g4.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:):D;):D:)

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

From the FCE4 specs:

• A Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, Intel Core Duo 2, or Intel Xeon processor. For AVCHD: A Mac computer with an Intel processor

So it'll run, but if you're source video is AVCHD (I note you posted on the HF100 on another thread) you won't be able to use the log & transfer tool to pull in your AVCHD clips, as this feature is supported on Intel Macs only. You'll have to resort to using a third-party app for conversion to AIC: Voltaic, for instance (which takes 12x whatever the length of your clip is, on average, to run the conversion).

Andrew.

3. Quincer5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

These are my computer specs: Processor- dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4
    Memory- 768mb ddr sdram (gonna upgrade
    to 2 gb of ram
    StartupDisk- PowerMac Dual G4
    Running- Version 10.4.11

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

hate to break it to you but it's not going to work. Their may be a work around using FCE 3.5 and using a third party app to transcode the video but your results may vary.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

I believe there's a .plist hack you can do to get rid of the video card requirement, but you're going to have to do alot of configuring to get it down to anything useful. Remember folks, Final Cut 2.0 ran on powermac G3's and *lower*. You can still take the canvas resolution and framerate down and get it to be usable.

6. Quincer5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, tell me!

So does that mean I need to get FCE 3.5, 0r 2, or lower? Tell me!;)

7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Just google the FCE versions yourself and look at the minimum system requirements. We're not going to do the foot work for you.

BUT I'm going to just say it now and that I don't recommend you try to edit AVCHD on your computer unless you want to be sitting at your computer all day because AVCHD it extremely processor intensive.

If you still want to do it though, your going to have to have to figure out a decent workflow and even possibly do some .plist hacking stated above.