Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
If you can grab it, Microsoft Office 2004. To me, that's the last good release of Office. My choices, in descending order are:

1. Microsoft Office 2004
3. Jer's Novel Writer
2. AppleWorks 6 Yes I said AppleWorks.
4. iWork 08 (I think 09 required Intel, but I could be wrong)
5. LibreOffice

+1 for AppleWorks6. I did not mention it, because it will be hard to find these days. I often use it still. I like that you can choose to "save as" other formats. Also it runs quicker/ scrolls better, when one has pictures included or several pages (like in a scientific paper) in contrast to Word. I often use it to write the text first, then copy it to Word and just edit the styles.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
+1 for AppleWorks6. I did not mention it, because it will be hard to find these days. I often use it still. I like that you can choose to "save as" other formats. Also it runs quicker/ scrolls better, when one has pictures included or several pages (like in a scientific paper) in contrast to Word. I often use it to write the text first, then copy it to Word and just edit the styles.

I have it on my old iMac G3 system discs. It's quite easy to place on a computer if you know how to do a piecemeal install.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I have it on my old iMac G3 system discs. It's quite easy to place on a computer if you know how to do a piecemeal install.

That's were I got it from. I had version 5 or so on my iMac G3-DV install discs. I don't know, where I got the Upgrade to 6, though. (Installation worked on my other Macs per drag and drop)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.