Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
If I buy a new 2017 from Apple right now, what version of macOS will it be installed with? I'm assuming Mohave, but would I be able to downgrade to High Sierra or even Sierra? Just curious.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Since the 2017 iMacs originally shipped with MacOS Sierra, you should be able to downgrade even on one that comes preinstalled with Mojave (and at this point, it's likely any new 2017 from Apple would have Mojave). Is there any reason you'd need to downgrade?

allan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Thanks for the answer, redheeler!

I just have some software that doesn't work properly in Mohave (or even High Sierra for that matter). I think I'll just hang onto my 2011 Mac mini a bit longer for these older apps.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2017's come with Mojave by now (I reckon).

BUT... you could "downgrade it" to High Sierra if you really wanted to.
A little work would be involved.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
My brother bought a new '17 iMac a couple weeks ago and it came with 10.14.0

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Would you consider using something like VirtualBox to run the older version as opposed to your primary OS?

allan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Would you consider using something like VirtualBox to run the older version as opposed to your primary OS?

I don’t even know what that is so probably not. :)

It’s not a deal killer if I can’t install Sierra. I can relegate that duty to my old Mac mini if I get a new Mac. I haven’t yet decided if I’m going to go with a 2017 iMac or a 2018 Mac mini. The T2 chip has me very apprehensive.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
It is the free equivalent to Parallels and VMware - virtualization software that allows you to run different OS-es. Typically, more so used for running Windows as opposed to Boot Camp. But you can also run Linux and another macOS. Virtual Box has plenty of options, but not as feature rich as Parallels or VMware, although both of those carry a license cost.

Take a look into them and keep it in mind.

As for the T2, my 2018 Mac mini is the first to have one and I have no issues. Although, you can search the Mac mini, iMac forums as well as Google and find plenty of trouble. Just a mixed bag.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
When you purchase one now it is most likely going to come with 10.14 preloaded. Unless you buy one that's been sitting in a warehouse for quite a while from some third-party reseller.

However, you will be able to downgrade the current generation iMacs to Sierra since that's the OS they originally shipped with when they were first introduced in 2017.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Since this is a downgrade there is only one way. You can't do it on-the-fly since macOS is going to refuse to even launch the installer based on the fact that you're trying to install a version older than what is already installed. In Apple's reality-distorted universe, the latest version is always the best and the only one people would ever want.

The only way to downgrade your Mac from 10.14 do 10.13 or 10.12 is by downloading the system, writing it to a thumb drive, then booting off that drive, wiping the internal hard drive completely, and installing the OS onto the empty hard drive from scratch.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A friend bought a 27" 5k iMac back around September 2018, and it came with High Sierra.
So, the 2017 iMacs -should- be able to run with High Sierra, but it will be work to "downgrade" it.
But I believe it can be done, IF you want to do it.

My friend's iMac came with APFS (along with High Sierra).
If it was me, I would have changed it back to HFS+, but I didn't want to do anything drastic to his.
It's actually been running fine (although he is NOT a "demanding user"...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.