What Version of OS X can I use?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vix2000, Oct 16, 2018.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

After a disaster with Mojave I created usb installer of High Sierra and stupidly erased the ssd with Mojave on. Now the recovery won’t recognise the usb as a start up disk. I’ve tried to go back to the original OS (Lion) but it won’t install, I presume it’s now obsolete. What versions of OS X do you advise I use, and where should I look for them please?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

It would help if you told us WHAT YEAR your MacBook was made.

Are you booting from the USB installer?

What happens if you do this:
    1. power down, all the way off
    2. insert USB flashdrive installer
    3. press power on button
    4. IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears
    5. Do you see the icon for the USB flashdrive?
    6. If so, click it with the pointer and hit return
    7. Does it boot up?

3. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

It’s. MacBook Air late 2010. I installed Mojave (exactly to dosdudes instructions and on this usb stick) which installed and worked fine but caused keyboard problems for which I could find no solution. I then again followed similar instructions for a High Sierra installer but the usb drive was not recognised in recovery. Unfortunately I had already erased the ssd on the MBA. So I then tried to restore the original OS X but as I couldn’t use the keyboard I could not log in to my Apple ID (required) so I’ve bought a usb keyboard. But when I logged in to install Lion it says it takes 123 days. I have now read that Lion is not supported. Since my post I have had access to a Mac and erased and reinstalled HS on the usb drive as bootable but it still doesn’t appear in recovery start up, either on the 2015 Mac or my MBA. Sorry for lengthy post but that’s where I’m at. I can only think to buy a new usb and try that, unless anyone can advise?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    Have just got in and have followed your instructions. It looks like it’s working so far!!! Thank you so much for your help. Fingers crossed it’s successful.

4. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

B2248054-C804-42BD-B76A-E977D925782D.jpeg Well I’ve now got high sierra back up running, thanks to fishrrman but the keyboard is still not working properly. This is the map!!! I’ve tried Uk and us but both the same.