What version of OS X does iMovie, iDVD come on?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ember Whimsy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Ember Whimsy macrumors newbie

Ember Whimsy

This is my first question post, so yay, hopefully I don't make a fool of myself ^.^;;

I just replaced my old eMac with a new iMac. I'm selling my eMac on eBay, and I thought I could answer everything about it, but I don't remember this one o_O

I did a fresh install of Tiger 10.4... And a possible buyer asked me if it comes with iMovie or iDVD? Now, I don't remember it coming with any of that, even with the software updates.

However, my new iMac comes with those and it came with 10.4.8, which I had my eMac up to by the time I was ready to sell it... So I'm very confused! :confused:

What does it come with, anything iLife, or do you have to buy that? Are those programs only for Intel Macs? I have the worst memory ever. ^.^

Thanks for any and all help - I feel like a doofus ^.^ I only ever used iPhoto and pretty much ignored everything else on my eMac...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not a stupid question, but the answer is that iLife has never come with OS X. It comes with Macs. Basically, since iLife was released, every Mac has come with the version of iLife that was current at the time. I.E. most Macs shipped in 2006-2007 (up to the recent release of iLife 08) came with iLife 06. They come with iLife 08 now. The Macs from the 2005 release of iLife 05 up to the release of 06 came with iLife 06.

If you still have the original system discs for your Mac (the grey ones that don't have the big "X" logo on them, and say something like system restore DVD), then it will be on there somewhere, typically on the second disc. You get to it through a separate installer (it's not installed with the main OS X installer on the disc).

Occasionally around the time of a new version of iLife Macs will also come with a "drop in" disc that contains the latest version of iLife. Those Macs typically also include the previous version of iLife on the system restore disc.

Does that make sense? If the Mac shipped with Tiger, it probably came with iLife 05 or iLife 06.

3. Ember Whimsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ember Whimsy

Yes, thanks, that makes perfect sense. I never paid attention to it before, but I'll have to check what my original system disk that came with my eMac has on it, and let them know about that.

Thanks again! :D