What version of XP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I want to get Windows XP for my MacBook with the specs of a 2.2 GHZ, 2 GBs RAM (Upgrading to 4 GB in the future), 160 GB 5400 RPM HD, and the GMA X3100. I want to get XP for running some games with my friends that have Windows laptops, and have found this particular version interesting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

I have a couple of questions though.

1. Will this run on my MacBook? Will it run fast enough to do some 3D games? (Halo, Age of Empires III)

2. Are the drivers for the X3100 still being updated for Windows XP?

3. Are the drivers any better or worse for the X3100 under Windows XP Home/Professional?

4. What is the max amount of RAM that will show up with this version?

5. What is a good website to find the latest drivers for my processor, graphics card, etc.? Can I get particular links please?

6. Are there any other cheaper/better alternatives to buying Windows XP?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

1. Yes
    2. They should be all there...you can always do software update and download them
    3. Can't Answer that
    4. 4GB
    5. I am actually looking for a good site right now
    6. eBay? Do you own any older PC's with XP installed with product keys on the bottom of the comp? You can use those...thats what I did.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

1) Yes, as long as you don't turn everything up.
    2) Can't answer that, but you can download updated drivers from intel.com
    3) No. Intel drivers don't have any optimizing groups/effects as you see on nVidia or ATi cards. They werent designed for games, so most ppl ignore them and install stock/regular drivers
    4) 4GB max if you use x64 version of XP. Otherwise, it'll read 3.25GB in x86(32-bit). Max is 8GB for your chipset, but we only have 2GB sticks max, so 2x2GB = 4GB
    5) Stock/regular drivers provided by boot camp are usually the best. There's no need to upgrade drivers unless your having problems
    6) Buy OEM licensing. You won't get the cool box but you get it a lot cheaper. www.newegg.com is one place to look.

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, thanks guys, but does anyone know if the drivers for the X3100 are any better or worse for professional vs. home and if drivers are still being updated for XP?

5. bubble27 macrumors regular

Ofcourse drivers are still being updated!

Many people havent switched to ****** vista...many offices n business'

Im going mac instead! :D

Pro n Home dont have much difference, pro is better for running ftp servers or something like that. I do webpaging and i needed to install pro inorder to test my page from home from my uni server. (so i was told by Lab support)

If your a student you can get xp for free....even vista but only business.

If your gona use it for online gaming, and there isnt a issue for money, personally i'd say pro

6. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

The games you mentioned -- Halo and Age of Empires III -- both actually gave Universal Binary versions for Mac OS X. If these are the only games you are going to play, and you don't need Windows for anything else, you might want to look into buying these instead.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

That is true, and I thank you for the great suggestion, but Halo I heard runs a lot better and looks a lot better under Windows, and Age of Empires III Mac Version cannot run with Windows versions.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I've never personally run either of those games, but an x3100 is an integrated graphics accelerator. It's not up to snuff with playing games. I do think it will struggle with Halo. It does not matter if you get XP Pro or XP Home, the performance is the same.

Yes, Intel is still updating the drivers. As to how often, I don't know.
    XP Home and Pro use the same drivers. They use the same everything driver wise and kernel wise.

It varies. 32-bit OS's have a total of 4 gigs of address space. It's a physical limitation. Anything that requires address space, takes a chunk out of it. About 3.2-3.5 gigs is a fair estimate.
    You don't need a driver for your processor. Intel provides drivers for the GMA x3100. Windows Update should update the drivers to the latest ones. Intel generally doesn't release drivers as often as other companies, like ATi or Nvidia. The x3100 is NOT intended for gaming.
    That's about the cheapest if you need Windows.

Most people don't need XP Pro. XP Pro adds additional administrative and network functionality, but nothing that improves performance, compatibility, or stability.