What version?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

What version of Windows Vista works best on a MacBook 2.2 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, I am going to set the partition size to 40 GBs for Vista and 120 GBs for Mac OS X Leopard. I know Vista is pretty bad, but I need to run some Windows apps that aren't supported over Crossover, and I am not going to buy VMWare Fusion or Parallels, just use Boot Camp. I want to buy a 64-bit version of Vista and was leaning more towards Windows Vista Home Premium. I don't give a **** if Microsoft wants me to use Ultimate or Business, I just want to use it on my MacBook and want to use the best one for it.

Which one would you recommend? Does Vista support 4 GBs of RAM?

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

After the hard drive format and OSX install, you could be looking at about 144GB overall, might want to rethink those partition sizes :D

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you have any desire to use Parallels/VMWare with your install BootCamped Windows, then you need Vista Business or Ultimate. Not that there is any actual software reason for it, it is simply part of the EULA.

Home Premium should be fine if you want all the shinies, however the only way you will get it to see all 4GB of RAM is with the 64bit version, which, last I checked, was not supported by the BootCamp drivers.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

As stated above, 32 bit windows only. Doesnt really matter what version of Windows Vista unless you want the eye candy, which still doesnt really matter in terms of performance. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Basic is pretty useless and no point in getting it if you can still get windows xp.