What Video Format iPhone Safari Supports? iPhoney HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ladeer, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ladeer, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I think I read somewhere that it can not play embedded video.

3. ladeer thread starter macrumors 6502

So much for "full feature browser and internet communicator..." if it can't play embedded video at all...even the one on apple.com, how can they call it a full feature internet communication device? not to mention the lack of downloading/saving images/mp3....

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Where does it say that?(in a very curious way, not a in smart a$$ voice. It's hard on these forums:D )

6. ladeer thread starter macrumors 6502

I know someone on here has emulator for iPhone...can you please please open up your emulator program on iPhone can just do a test for us? Thank you!

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

yeah, it is called iPhoney, you can turn all plugins off or on.

being 1:20 in the morning, I dont feel like digging for it.
    but why would apple not make their site 100% compatible with the iPhone? :D
    :apple:

8. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    The Emulator doesn't really do much more than have the proper screen pixels for people developing. But if you wanna see, just do a google search for iPhoney.

9. ladeer thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i believe you, but how about QT on other sites such as cnn? i would like to know what website support embeded video playback on iphone.

also, some part of website (even apple.com) simple finger motion might not be able to reach the finer part...such as the left-right sliding motion to select different model of apple products. it's a css/javascript trick, and require precise mouse click and drag the tiny lever right or left to move the product strip.

how can you do that with the current iphone safari? can someone show me that?

10. ntblood macrumors newbie

Me1000: How can I see quicktime in Safari (iphone)??

Hi.
    Me1000: I read your post where you said:
    "It plays quicktime video's
    even in safari,"
    How does it do that? Does it have to be enabled and if so then how? I go to mentalfunk.com on my iphone and I'm not able to view quicktime videos there.
    Help, please.

11. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Quicktime videos in Safari do work, but it depends on how they are encoded. Streaming video is not supported, but embedded (pre-recorded) videos do work, if they are encoded right. If you want proof, go to video.google.com, and when looking at a video, select the ipod/PSP download option, and it will load in a quicktime "player" that looks much like the youtube player application.

12. note235 macrumors 6502a

i dont even need to select video/ipod
    i just click the vid
    clocks for instance

13. MaxPowers macrumors newbie

NO Steaming Videos are working on IPhone only YouTude, Google, and a very few other are currently permitted or able to provided any type of videos

14. ntblood macrumors newbie

Great!

That's great. Google videos work. When you say Youtube you mean in Safari then? Are there any news video sites that work? :)

15. MaxPowers macrumors newbie

Not that I know of, but CNN does have a deal with YouTube, so U might find them their, if it will play is your guess. I just hope they fix this streaming video thing first, before or at the same time as the flash. People will never be happy with out there streams, hell in Japan they have Live Show on their mobiles, so we are way behind and this is not really asking all that much. Yet it is a hell of a phone, just hope they fix these issues soon.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

youtube links in safari redirect to the youtube app on the iPhone.

17. ntblood macrumors newbie

Can't find on Youtube in Safari the link which will launch the vid in the Youtube app

Janey: I can't find on Youtube in Safari the link which will launch the vid in the Youtube app

18. omatzyo macrumors newbie

Whenever I follow a link to a youtube video, the device opens the youtube player but then fails giving me the message "Could not load movie" or "YouTube not available". All of the links within the Youtube widget work fine though.

It seems that they have only made it compatible for clips pre-compressed in a certain format?

19. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

quicktime in safari works on apple.com

just watch the iphone vids.

20. omatzyo macrumors newbie

So, essentially, there is no way to view regular youtube videos? Only those predesignated?

21. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

as of right now the youtube app on the iphone plays h.264 converted youtube videos. Google says all youtube vids will be converted to h.264 by october ...so until then the answer is no.

22. adbeglad macrumors newbie

google video may help

we build mobile sites - trying to get a video to play in a site we're doing for Tuborg (great Danish beer)

it looks like we might have solved the problem

i uploaded the video to google video
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8460308916745529448&hl=en
    then clicked "Download video - iPod/PSP"
    somewhere in the dialogue there's a chance to copy the link location.
    we've put that link in our site, clicking it plays the video