Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelloMotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
a friend of mine got her white macbook i think about 3 years ago.

im trying to find a right cable to connect her macbook to HDTV.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You'll need to go from mini-DVI to HDMI (or whatever her TV has). Assuming her TV has HDMI, the easiest way to go is using a mini-DVI to DVI adaptor, and then a DVI to HDMI cable.

This will get video, but not sound. If you need sound, you can either hook up an optical cable with a 3.5mm adaptor on it, or a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable.

HelloMotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
whats the difference between mini-dvi to vga and mini-dvi to dvi?

or how about just buying mini-dvi to hdmi adaptor and then buying hdmi to hdmi cable?

Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
mini-DVI to VGA is analog, so you can't get it to work with HDMI (and wouldn't want to, since DVI converts perfectly to HDMI).

You could go the route of getting a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor just as easily.

FWIW, technically DVI has an analog option as well, but in this case you wouldn't be using it. Just avoid any adaptors/cables that are DVI-A, stick with DVI-D or DVI-I.

HelloMotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
also do i need a seperate cable for audio? i heard somewhere that if i use hdmi i won't need a seperate 3.5 mm to rca. Is this true?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
It's only true on some of the brand-new Macs, but not yours. So you need a separate audio cable no matter what route you go. You could use the cable you mentioned or an optical cable since you do have optical out in your headphone jack, you just need a special adaptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.