What video tagger to use?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by micrors4racer, Sep 30, 2012.

1. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

I use sublet to remux most of my videos but videos with DTS only audio I remux with MP4Tools since Subler seems to not support DTS to AC3 conversion.
    Problem is MP4tools doesn't have a built in tagger so I need a stand alone one. What do you guys use?

2. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

3. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but if you read the post it said Subler already.

I tried to do the dts conversion to ac3 + 2 channel track in mp4tools then remuxed it again in Subler with pass thru everything and it seems to cause an audio sync issue about 1 hour into the movie/show.

I'l give MetaX a try and see if that works fine.

4. Cinephi1e macrumors regular

5. omni macrumors 6502

Older version of Subler for dts to ac3 conversions.

Current version of Subler for movie tagging.

Identify for tv shows.

artwork from itunes or getvideoartwork

soft subs from subscene.com or addic7ed.com

6. mic j macrumors 68030

Why older Subler version vs current version for dts to ac3 conversion?

7. omni macrumors 6502

After upgrading to Mountain Lion - I have had nothing but problems using Subler to convert DTS to AC3.

I read it has something to do with Perian? And people suggested copying over some audio file but I could never sort it out.

So I just downloaded an older version and have had no problems.

8. mic j macrumors 68030

You might want to look at this excellent article on the problem, if you haven't already, and how to fix it: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/converting-blue-ray-discs-andor-mkvs-ipad-iphone-–-part-iii

9. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

10. omni macrumors 6502

11. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

In subler do I tick the check box for subtitles or do I leave it unchecked? So far I have my video checked and stereo aac checked and the surround track unchecked.

12. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

This, iDentify very rarely gets things wrong and if it does you just manually put in the IMDB movie ID and it tags it just fine. It works a lot better than MetaX.

You can tick the box for subtitles if you want them and chapters as well, for sound the Apple TV won't do digital HD formats but you can enable the standard Dolby/DTS formats and the stereo track if you want it.

13. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

14. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

iFlicks is good if you're willing to pay for it, it does everything. For the cheapskates subler and iDentify handle everything for transmuxing.

15. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

If I leave them unchecked will that give me the option to view the subtitles on the apple tv, itunes, iPad? If i understand correctly, checking it will enable it everytime I play the video and leaving it unchecked will leave it off by default but have the option to enable with the subtitle setting?

16. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

No... if you don't check the box you wont get the subtitle tracks i.e. no subtitles at all in your M4V container, meaning you won't have any option at all to turn them on even if you want to.

17. omni macrumors 6502

18. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

I ticked them when adding to the new project so they should be in the MKV just like the surround audio is unticked but it is available when the apple tv is set to surround sound. Basically I am trying to differentiate between ticking the enabled box and leaving it unticked.

19. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I always thought that it meant adding those files to the new movie container, though I might be wrong.

20. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

The adding process is when you first load in the MKV and it pops up that smaller window. The bigger main window displays all the files that is going to be in the MKV regardless if enabled or not. Just wondering what enabling or not enabling the subtitles will do.

21. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Sorry I'm obviously thinking of the wrong stage in the process.

22. mpossjr macrumors member

23. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

I also use Metax. It's straight forward and easy to use.

24. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Another +1 for iDentify, it is a small app from the app store and can make quick work of most large tagging tasks.

I have found that IF iDentify doesn't automatically "identify" the movie properly I just go to imdb.com and get the movie code, insert that into iDentify and it will pull the remaining information perfectly along with the posters.