What virus software should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pwbk5, Mar 30, 2009.

1. pwbk5 macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook G4 version 10.4.11. I haven't had virus software on it and was wondering what I should get. This is the first and only mac I have had and am really not that familiar with macs. Thanks!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You dont need any. Totally unecessary. There are currently no viruses for Macs. Any sort of antivirus will just slow down the system; and for absolutely no reason either, considering there aren’t any viruses for it to find.
    There are a few threads around here from people that haven’t done their research and installed antivirus software on their Macs, only for the system to become really unresponsive. I bet most, if not all, members here use their Macs with no antivirus software, and I bet there won’t be a single reply in this topic that actually recommends you any.

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

That's not entirely true. There is definitely malware written for the mac out there.

However the rest of your post is sage advice.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Malware ≠ viruses.

5. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i use ClamXav, i kno AV software 4 mac isnt necesssary but i just use it 2 scan my downloads. it makes me feel safe especially cumin 4rm windows, whatever helps u sleep at night

6. bkarabel macrumors member

7. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

You can try a combinaiton of Avira Antivir Free (it's free for personal use) + SpyBoot. Or even the free version of SuperAntiSpyware.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I thought cumin was used in cooking? What does it have to do with windows?
    But then again, I'm not even sure this post was in English.,

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I suppose you would need some kind of antivirus if you download and install pirated software or other hacked stuff. Other than that, it's extremely rare. I got a worm on my system a few years ago but it wasn't doing much damage. Didn't even know I had it until a service bureau called to say that a disc I had dropped off was infected. The worm was just slowing down my machine until I managed to find it.

10. macgrl macrumors 65816

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

These are worthless Windows products (worthless to Mac OS X, that is).

How is that relevant?

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

THERE ARE NO VIRUSES on OSX.

Since there are no viruses, anti-virus cannot determine what is a virus at this time.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bit security
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/16/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_security.html

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it IS true. There are no viruses that exist in the wild that affect Mac OS X.
    Completely true.
    While it's dangerous and foolish to download and install pirated apps, no antivirus app can protect your Mac, because they don't detect Mac viruses, only Windows viruses. Consultant is right: You can't detect something that doesn't exist.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Now now.. there are billions of religious people out there.. :)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! So true! But AntiVirus apps won't detect Him, either! :)

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

He's using "cumin" as an abbreviation for "coming" and "4rm" as an abbreviation for "from". See how many letters he saved with those alternate spellings?

17. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Repeat after me: NOT A VIRUS. A trojan does not self-replicate, and they usually rely on social engineering to trick the user into installing it - as is the case here.

19. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Do you think the average user cares about major nitpicking like that? It still harms your computer without your knowledge of it being there, to 99.99% of the population thats a virus. Thats like getting into hacking vs cracking, nobody cares what the technical differences are.

Not to mention when people talk about "viruses" on Windows they are actually talking about trojans.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Except, a trojan REQUIRES user-interaction to become installed - especially on a Mac, where you have to enter your admin password.

In the Windows world, you can get a virus sent to you, installed, and passed on to all of your friends without ever noticing ... that's not nitpicking, that's a major difference.

21. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Blah blah blah. Everyone likes to say "Macs are virus free! Yaaaay!" The fact is, Macs are not free from all malware.

Check it out for yourself and surf the ClamXav forums for which trojans are covered in their virus def updates.

Also, IMO, it falls on the socially responsible side to not pass on a virus to an unsuspecting Window's user.

:)

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolutely untrue. The only way to be "infected" by a trojan is for the user to download it, install it and enter their admin password to authorize it, so they have full knowledge of its presence. That's quite different from a virus, which can install itself without the user's involvement.
    No one says that Macs are free from all malware. They only say (accurately) that they are free from VIRUSES. The biggest threat to Mac OS security is the user.

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Adding to this ...

They may not know exactly what they have (malware), but they do know it is there ... and since you can't get a trojan from a legitimate source ... any educated user will know the risks.

24. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

But the user doesn't enter it in, knowing it's a trojan. The trojan doesn't show a message "Please type in your password to install this trojan to your computer." The user does not know he/she has anything harmful on their computer.

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

See my post above: