Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What was the best Intel iMac design?

• 2009-2012 Standard Unibody Aluminum

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 2012+ Thin Unibody Aluminum

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • 2006-2007 White iMac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2007-2009 Aluminum with black back

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I was just curious what design people prefer the most? As for me I still really like the design of my 2011 21.5" iMac and plan to run it several more years since the quad core still has plenty of speed and performance for how I use the computer. I'm just not convinced the new thin design (especially the 21.5") with the built in RAM and slow standard Hard Drives was really worth the comprimise to be thinner around the edges. Just imagine with a little more room how much more performance they could build into an iMac of today. Last although I don't use it often anymore I do find the Superdrive still handy from time to time.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
First gen aluminium iMac (2007) still going strong here. Doesn't look very aged aside from the more square screen. The next widescreen version definitely had a great design, but I'd prefer the newest one. Maybe not from the side, but from the front it's very sexy.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I added a couple more responses for the first two Intel models. You can change your vote if you already voted and prefer one of the older designs.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Having had a white C2D, first gen (2007) aluminum and a 2011 21.5" iMac, I would say the last one was the best. It looks great with all black bezel and was the last one you could actually service and to some extent upgrade yourself. As you said, the i5 is still fine for most tasks and if the HD goes, I can easily replace it with an SSD or an SSD and a HDD. The 6750m easily overclocks 20% or so and is fine for moba's and the like. The only things that really don't get used on it much anymore are the SD slot and the ODD. It can also take 32GB of RAM which may come in useful down the road.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Having had a white C2D, first gen (2007) aluminum and a 2011 21.5" iMac, I would say the last one was the best. It looks great with all black bezel and was the last one you could actually service and to some extent upgrade yourself. As you said, the i5 is still fine for most tasks and if the HD goes, I can easily replace it with an SSD or an SSD and a HDD. The 6750m easily overclocks 20% or so and is fine for moba's and the like. The only things that really don't get used on it much anymore are the SD slot and the ODD. It can also take 32GB of RAM which may come in useful down the road.

I agree and when I bought it I thought to myself this is a computer that will last me a long time. I know it is not as thin as the new ones, but it does seem much easy to service and upgrade compared to the thin 21.5" models. It sort of makes you wonder what the next iMac will be like and if the 27" will also have built-in RAM since Apple seems to really like having everything built-in with no way to service or upgrade.

It's funny because I also don't use the SD much anymore, but just last month someone asked if I could put a video they had on a DVD and I was sort of excited because I got to give the old Superdrive a whirl again after a long time. :)

Anyhow I was just thinking about design because I am actually going to do a RAM upgrade tonight and thought it is sort of nice I can still do that on my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.