Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I've purchased a small number of Mac minis for my workshop and need keyboards to pair with them.

I only have two requirements; that they're cheap (they'll be used by different people in a messy environment) and comfortable to type on. I'm also only looking at wired keyboards as I don't need the wireless connectivity and prefer the reliability of wired versions.

So I figured it might be worth just getting some of Apple's prior USB keyboards, which are easily found second-hand. So far I can see two models;

rDL4ZE14DpJYTVyZ.large.jpeg

This one from the early iMac days, and...

61d9kmOwZ4L._AC_SY355_.jpg

pre-Magic Keyboard?

I would honestly love to hear all of your thoughts on which you prefer. It's been years since I've used either, and although I remember enjoying the early iMac keyboard, I'm sure I found the latter to be a little mushy.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• rDL4ZE14DpJYTVyZ.large.jpeg
    rDL4ZE14DpJYTVyZ.large.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 96

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Depends what Mac do you use? If has M1 or better consider the Apple Fingerprint keyboard! The fingerprint in My Mac Book Air is like game changing when buying stuff online and it works with Keychain passwords!

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Depends what Mac do you use? If has M1 or better consider the Apple Fingerprint keyboard! The fingerprint in My Mac Book Air is like game changing when buying stuff online and it works with Keychain passwords!
As noted in the original post, they’re Mac minis. I’m not looking to spend £180-200, I just want the cheapest-but-best value keyboards, preferably one of Apple’s own from years gone by.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The best keyboards Apple produced
- Apple Extended Keyboard (M0115)
- Apple Extended Keyboard II (M0312 and M3501)
- Apple Adjustable Keyboard (M1242 hard to find)
- Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116)

These use the much lauded Alps key switches. Although I think the M1242 and M3501 used slightly inferior Alps switches than the earlier models. I'm not sure if any other models used them. Prices vary a lot. Depending on what you find on eBay. You'll need an ADB to USB adapter. I use the ADB-USB Wombat for my adapter.

If you just want a USB model. I'd get the M2452, M7803 or M1048. While I'm not sure about the M2452. The M7803 has a bit of a spongy feel. While the M1048 has a crisper feeling motion. Still not the nice spring of the M3501 but still pretty nice. The main advantage of the M7803 is a slightly lower profile.

I don't like the later laptop style keyboards. Too little key travel for a lot of comfortable typing. I prefer more traditional keyboards.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for the feedback!

Do you know if the M1048 discolours easily? I've seen the black-key version but I'm not sure if the performance is the same.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I would honestly love to hear all of your thoughts on which you prefer. It's been years since I've used either, and although I remember enjoying the early iMac keyboard, I'm sure I found the latter to be a little mushy.
Favourite keyboards are very, very subjective.

I didn’t particularly like what you call the “early iMac” full-travel keyboard and ended up using a Logitech (full-travel) keyboard instead.

The “pre-Magic” aluminium wired keyboard is my all-time favourite, that converted me to short-travel keys. Compared to the current Magic keyboard, the travel is slightly longer, the keys are slightly smaller and have a different texture. It’s also more solidly built heavier than the Magic keyboard (yes, heavier despite the Magic including a battery).

If I was making that choice I’d grab the “pre-Magic” aluminium keyboard and hiss “my precioussss!” at anybody who tried to take it away.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Favourite keyboards are very, very subjective.

I didn’t particularly like what you call the “early iMac” full-travel keyboard and ended up using a Logitech (full-travel) keyboard instead.

The “pre-Magic” aluminium wired keyboard is my all-time favourite, that converted me to short-travel keys. Compared to the current Magic keyboard, the travel is slightly longer, the keys are slightly smaller and have a different texture. It’s also more solidly built heavier than the Magic keyboard (yes, heavier despite the Magic including a battery).

If I was making that choice I’d grab the “pre-Magic” aluminium keyboard and hiss “my precioussss!” at anybody who tried to take it away.
I found that the new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID has a deeper travel and more tactile feedback than the previous Magic Keyboard. I like it a lot.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The aluminum keyboard imo is quite good (MB110 I think?). Very comfortable typing for me.
Having said that, mine broke already with some keys not registering (bought it used alongside my 2012 mini, so it's old).

Now using a standard PC logitech keyboard and I really dislike the noise and travel.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I found that the new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID has a deeper travel and more tactile feedback than the previous Magic Keyboard.
Interesting : is that vs. the previous wireless Magic Keyboard w/keypad? I'd assumed that the new touch ID keyboard was identical. The Magic was certainly noticeably shorter travel than the old wired one (I've got both). That's one of the things on my mind when considering a new Mac, since obviously touch ID would be good, but I'm not mad on the magic keyboard.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for everyones feedback!

Is the consensus then that the pre-Magic wired keyboard is at least on par with the subsequent Magic ones, in terms of key travel/feel? They're still fairly affordable second-hand (£25-35 avg.)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks for the feedback!

Do you know if the M1048 discolours easily? I've seen the black-key version but I'm not sure if the performance is the same.

Mine still looks pristine. I'm not aware of aging like the old platinum Macs. It's a different kind of plastic. The only discoloration I've seen are from people who don't wash their hands before using them or eat while using them. But that usually comes off with disassembly and a good scrubbing.

blicked

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2018
I'm still banging away on a Apple A1243 USB Wired Aluminum Keyboard with a wired Logitech mouse attached to the USB on the side. My favorite iteration, hands down. Gonna need to get a USB C dongle for the Studio Display when I eventually upgrade to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.