What was the biggest disappointment from the iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 9, 2008.

?

What is the worst thing about the iPhone 3G?

1. No video conferencing

8 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No video recording

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. No camera upgrade

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. No MMS

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. The late July 11th release date

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. The $30 data plan

31 vote(s)
    34.4%
  7. Other

11 vote(s)
    12.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The release of the iphone 3G has come with a lot of mixed feelings... But overall it seems to be an underwhelming upgrade.

What do you think was the biggest flaw about the iPhone 3G?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's mainly because people expected so much from it.

Most of the stuff we wanted can still be added via software, minus the camera, etc.

See it's a vicious cycle.

First people bitched about no 3G.
    Then people bitched about no GPS.

Now we have those, so everyone needs to bitch about no MMS. If it doesn't have what you want, or you think the data plan is to high, here is my word of advice:

Don't buy the 3G iPhone.

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

100% ATTs data plan.

I price is nice but if they offered me a 20 dollar data plan at 400 dollar iphone, no contract. I would take that.

it's not about 10 bucks, it's about the principle. We are already in contract with ATT, all we want is the new hardware. I wish a cell phone company can realize its faults for one second and maybe people wouldn't be switching left and right.

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Bloody BLUETOOTH!!!

Why can't they let the iPhone fully utilise its bluetooth?

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

In terms of service/launch/AT&T: The confusing upgrade situation, where we do not know the details of upgrades on each kind of plan and on those in contracts for other phones on AT&T.
    In terms of features: MMS. Seriously, this one should have been implemented as a software update a long time ago. It is a basic feature almost every phone supports these days, and why the iPhone still does not is beyond comprehension.

For me: videoconferencing is not important; the $30 data plan is what all other AT&T non-iPhone smartphone users get charged; the camera could use some upgrades but it is decent for a phone, but video recording should be added free as an update; waiting a month will not kill you.

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

for me it really is the camera... i really hate the $30 plan but apparently that's how it's done for everyone else.... and the camera just doesn't hack it. it works as a camera in a crunch, but the thing i like the most about the iphone is it's all-in-oneness. with having a phone, ipod, internet, and camera all in one i can have empty pockets!! but the current camera isn't good enough to be your only camera..

8. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

1000% agree on that one. Why didn't they flesh out the details? Today was THE day, and when the price was announced, Steve actually said "MAXIMUM" of $199/$299, yet we have emails from At&t saying that only certain people will qualify.

I am sure it will work itself out, and I am getting one because the features that were added to the hardware are enough for me. Knowing how Apple is slow to roll out features in order to keep customers hooked, I still expect numerous things to come via software upgrades. That said, until I find out a concrete price for someone like myself, who has a non-iPhone and is only 6-7 months into a contract.

9. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

It's the release date for me. After all this iPhone news I was hoping for a rather quick release date. I guess it just gives me more time to save some more money for accessories. :D

10. tkhan456 macrumors member

Price cut a sham

Sweet! What a deal! only $200 or $300! Oh wait, no. It's the almost the exact same price as the last gen. Anyone else realize what a sham that price cut is? With the $30/month plan (an increase in $10/month from the last gen) the overall price of the iPhone works out to be almost the exact same as the last Gen. Smart marketing, but a kind of a jerk move (i'd use much stronger words if they were allowed). So don't be so impressed by the fake price cut

11. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

yea it is actually $160 more.... or on avg $6.66 per month... wait.. 666... haven't i seen that number somewhere before?

12. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Ummm... what? It's actually $240 more over the course of 2 years, and $240/24= $10... You know, the difference between $20 and $30...

Shenanigans aside...

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill on this data plan thing. ALL OTHER At&t smartphones have $30 data plans. The iPhone official transition from a feature phone to a smartphone today, so why should it be any different?

I guess I am just numb to it because I have been paying $30 for nothing more than data for a long time...

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

As an official and top tier iPhone hater I must say that the upgrade is really what should have been out a year ago. The 3G on the iPhone is still quite slow, but given the fact that it's loading real webpages, it may be just fine.

What's all this nonsense about a raise in the AT&T (satan) price of the data plan, I just got back from living in the real world, so I just got a look at the keynote?

And yes, it's still quite a shame that the phone is still missing features from 2004. The ones they added surprised my Treo totting fiancee, who didn't even know the iPhone didn't have them, like bulk text/email deleting :rolleyes:

Am very glad to see that the rest of the phone has finally caught up with the rest of the smart phone world.

14. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

oh sorry, i didn't explain. since the $30 data plan doesn't include the 200 texts I included the $5 extra for 200 texts, and then i subtracted the $200 subsidy out. and that works out to $160!

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I'm kinda curious what all the "other" is about...

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

All the other features that should have been in the first iPhone that still didn't find their way into this one.

Now that i have watched the keynote, I am interested in the "View Pages/iWork/MS Office" docs that Steve said. He didn't say view and edit. If I can't edit them then WTFudge is the point? :mad:

Also, there still isn't any copy/paste and hopefully there is an app that allows users to customize the keyboard to allow for larger keys and XT9 input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.