what was the fast method?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jesusplay, May 13, 2010.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

to getting a iphone on release date?

going to a apple or att store?

ordering online?

did u have to camp?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ordering online was less stressful. You still got it on release day, albeit later in the morning.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think the quickest method would be to preorder it online and have it shipped to your local Apple store for pickup on release date. This way you can go as early as you want and still not have to wait in that big of a line because the preorder line is usually a lot smaller. If you get it shipped to your house you might not get it until the afternoon. I prefer to have it shipped to my house because of simplicity, but it wouldn't be the "fast method"

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, its ordering it online and then not worrying about lines or inventory, i.e., running out of stock when I'm next in line :)

When you order it online, it will come when it comes and you don't need to worry about anything at that point

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I preordered online and had it shipped to an AT&T store close by. I was the first preorder in line and thus got into the store as soon as it opened. Was in and out in maybe half an hour, and that's only because they ran into some issue or other getting info from my Bold over to the iPhone; that held things up a bit.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Last year's preorders made standing in line (at least for me) a piece of cake. I was number four in line outside my local Apple store (got there around 6 am). I was back out on the street by 7:15 am.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Last year I went to an AT&T store the week before the launch and pre-ordered. The day-of I went up over at lunchtime and got in and out in less than 20 minutes.

They said there was a line in the morning, but I didn't have to wait once I was there. Since I'd preordered, I didn't care about getting there first thing.

This was a non-mall AT&T store, you may get different results at different stores.

8. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

so if you preorder it...they have to hold your iphone for you? they cant sell it?

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That was my understanding, yes. They went into the back and brought out a box with my name on it, so as far as I know, it wasn't available to be sold to anyone else. Damn well better not have been, since I'd already paid for it. ;)

ETA: My store was a non-mall AT&T store also, so I don't know how wait times, etc., may have been at other locations.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

for me sitting in the house was great. Sit and watched tv while looking out the window. About 10:30 Fedex guy was dropping it off. he new what it was and was trying to get them to the customers on his route ASAP. 10 minutes latter my phone was activated.

11. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

pre-order delivered to AT&T store, got it early in the morning. In and out in 15 mins.

12. outphase macrumors 65816

I preordered in an AT&T store and picked it up in the morning at open. I got there maybe an hour before just for kicks.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Last year I pre-ordered and picked up at the Apple store. I think I waited about 45 minutes for the store to open, then was in-out of the store another 20-30 minutes later IIRC.

Debated ordering for delivery to my office that day, but will have to wait for a very potentially slow delivery process. Pretty sure I'll do what I did last year so I can pick it up on the way into the office.

Luckily my house, the Apple store, and my office are all within 1 mile of each other. :D

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Last year I was visiting Fort Collins on launch day. While out shopping I stopped in an AT&T store with no line, and walked out 15 mins. later with a 32 GB 3GS.

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Last year for the 3GS I just asked my boss to put one on the side for me :D

Plan on doing the exact same thing this year.

16. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

The only thing that stinks about pre-order is not being able to see which color you like better in person...:confused:

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Isn't an advantage of getting it shipped to you means AT&T/ the Apple store won't open your iPhone up and install your SIM card for you?

Call me weird, but I don't want anyone else opening up my iPhone. Opening anApple product is part of the experience! :)

18. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Still debating on waiting in line/wait at home. Depends on what my schedule is like the day of the release. I usually wait in line and I'm always one of the top 20 in line at the past launches at my local apple store.

19. scottpuplava macrumors newbie

What time do apple stores usually open on the day of?

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

att store. you're garnered the phone when pre ordered and no lines (where i live)

21. scottpuplava macrumors newbie

Wait, so you're saying even if my iphone is completely pre ordered and paid for there is still a chance of not getting it? Or is early payment not even a possibility?

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, it's just that the Apple stores only set your phone aside for 1 day. Gotta pick it up that day. Next day you're in line w/ the non-preorders.

23. lovemyipad macrumors member

if i can preorder i'm going to just do that. it'll feel great watching all those people waiting for hours in line while i sip on some ice tea as the fedex man brings me mine! :D:D:D

24. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I don't remember if they called it a "pre-order" or "reservation". All I remember is, I pre-ordered/reserved a 3GS online last summer, and the Apple store line for non-pre-orders/reservations moved faster than the line I was stuck in. (14th St. NYC)

25. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

Order online to avoid headaches unless u just want to be amongst the chaos