What was the iPhone 5 supposed to have that this 4S doesn't?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exhumed, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Exhumed macrumors member

I check this site every day, but I still don't quite get it. I see things like "unfortunately, it looks like we won't see an iPhone 5 this year, just a 4S"

What exactly is the difference? Is it just the exterior? People are bummed out because the screen won't be larger and the casing won't look different? (I don't like the teardrop design suggested by the cases/early design documents anyway. A bigger screen? Nice, but not a necessity.)

If the inside is beefed up as much as it otherwise would have been, and there aren't any crazy cool features I'm missing, I'm happy. I'm aware that NFC and LTE were never expected for the Fall iPhone anyways.

Were there other things I'm forgetting that the iPhone 5 was supposed to have, that this 4S does not, or is it mostly the screen?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think the biggest thing for most people was a larger screen. Secondly, new design.

While a part of me agrees with you, another part of me longs for a new design....but I realize it's not important.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The BIGGEST thing is that no one really knows what the new device will really be like.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

5. aluren macrumors 65816

The new design of the iPad 2 helped it tremendously. The thinner form factor and lighter weight is a huge upgrade in itself, and something that Apple always emphasize. I think there's still ways to go for the iPhone to go thinner and lighter, and also improve on their antenna design.

Material is another huge upgrade. The look and feel of a device gives consumer its first impression. I was pretty impressed with the glass front/back of the iPhone 4, akin to the glass screen of the MBP.

6. aohus, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

iPhone 5 variations

- iP5 will not be made of all glass as did the iP4S (iP4 Plus)

- iP5 will be much lighter than iP4S (iP4 Plus)

- new design, possibly edge to edge screen, with tapered edges

- Per 9to5mac rumor, the iP5 will be 'impossibly light'

edit: i do think the main differentiation will be that the iPhone 4 Plus will be tied to the iCloud service, whereas the iPhone 5 won't necessarily be tied to the iCloud service

7. jacollins macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 is supposed to come with more Unicorn. Unicorn skin shell and a Unicorn tear fuel cell. Boosts reception, waterproof, runs for days on a tear, and looks cool too!

8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

A redesign seems to be the most apparent difference between 4S (or Plus) and 5. A price difference seems to be logical, also.

But, I guess we won't know until they officially reveal it. :)

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This makes no sense. Apple sees iCloud as a premiere service. The iPhone 5 will most definitely support it. iOS 5 centers around iCloud. All future iOS devices and most likely OSX devices will connect to iCloud.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

i'm not saying that iPhone 5 wouldn't support it, i'm just guessing that maybe Apple might tie-in their iCloud service in return for a very cheap iPhone 4S.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

How so? By making the 4S have no storage capacity at all, forcing the user to use iCloud?

12. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I was just hoping for a wow! factor, not just a better camera and processor. I can't name a new innovative feature but that is what apple is for. And I'm not looking for one of those soft wear things that they just don't want to put on the 4 but put it on the 5/4s so you want to buy it.

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

A new shape (rounded sides) that goes along with a larger screen. This in addition to the new A5 chip and upgraded camera (and sensor).

That's what the iPhone 5 is supposed to be. If they call a spec bumped iPhone 4 the iPhone 5, they'll get laughed off the keynote stage.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How does iCloud make anything cheaper?

15. DJinTX macrumors 6502

For me it is very important to have a redesign, and not just for superficial reasons. Sure I am ready for something new, but I also want a less fragile device (no glass back, or stronger glass) with a better antenna design (either internal, or improved external).

16. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Personally, new design is 1st to me. Skipped the iP4 because I hate the form. Larger screen I guess is 1A.

17. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I can't stand big screens on phones. Maybe it's just Android phones, and I'm sure Apple would do it in an elegant way, but I'm more than happy with 3.5 inches.

----------

I like how you think of this. Interesting. You must have listened to discussions of TiPb.com iPhone live back in February regarding the iPhone nano rumours ;)

----------

Reducing on device storage.

18. aohus macrumors 68000

essentially, yeah.

i have not heard of that site, but it just seems, Logical. <--- do this with Spock's voice

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Huge difference.

The iPhone 5 would be completely redesigned, because the iPhone 4's design is flawed. The screen is supposed to be larger, the redesign will bring a more comfortable phone and overall better phone, internally and externally, and more consumer-friendly.

Yes, a bigger screen is very much a necessity now, especially with iWork for iPhone, you can use as much space as you can get.

You might be happy, but i sure won't be, and i'm sure others won't be either.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't see this happening since iCloud doesn't stream.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and run up their cell phone bills by forcing them into a higher data plan tier. Awesome.

22. aohus macrumors 68000

huh?

iCloud will store your music, contacts, maybe even SMS messages, to Apple's data center. Sure it might not 'stream' technically, but you're still able to download your data from iCloud to your iPhone.

23. iPhone-5-Price macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S is simply the cheaper one, but will be better than iPhone 4 I guess.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

For me it's only good as a backup. Won't replace having storage on the device. I don't think Apple will market it that way either. But only time will tell.

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That's pretty much all it does for non-US users, apart from Find my iPhone and mail.