Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennyisalive

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I find FCPX with a nMP to be amazing, performance wise. Pricing for the nMP and the fact that its pretty much only good for FCPX makes it a very bad deal even when it came out, unless video editing is the only thing you do.
Honestly I dont understand why people don't move on, are you gonna buy a new Desktop, Apple isn't gonna give you what you want anymore.

Btw, out of curiosity...why doesn't more people use Vegas for movie editing?. I found it to be almost as responsive as FCPX and the features are better and the UX is just amazing - for me it is superior to any other video editing software (though video editing is not my daily job). Its WAY better IMO to edit videos in Vegas than premiere or FCPX. The only reason Premiere wins over Vegas to me is the integration with After Effects, apart from that every other part of Premiere is more cumbersome....that goes for FCPX as well.
There are people who invested a lot in fcp series. Jumping to another format like that takes time...and they don't have tim.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
To somewhat try to get this thread on topic, wouldnt the natural place for a rumor, or an expectation be, whenever Intel's road map says the next iteration of the Xeons is to be put out?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
To somewhat try to get this thread on topic, wouldnt the natural place for a rumor, or an expectation be, whenever Intel's road map says the next iteration of the Xeons is to be put out?
The MP6,1 uses "E5 v2" Xeons.

Intel has released "E5 v3" and "E5 v4" Xeons - so the MP6,1 is two generations behind current technology.

Reactions: Aldaris

mastermamo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2017
Cape Town South Africa
In recent years, a nasty trend has shown up on this discussion board. A question gets asked that is associated with (even slightly) Apple's choices in hardware design, and (A) people start flame wars over what a "pro" machine is, and (B) people start flame wars over what a "pro" user is.

Gentle people, the former is tiresome, and the latter is obnoxious.

We've all heard it before 100 times or more: people insisting that a "pro" machine can't be one unless it meets some particular guy's strict personal definition. Tiresome! Move on, sulk in quiet, wait for Apple in a Zen state of peace, or deal with it however is best for you personally.

But calling out what a "pro user" is, again per some guy's personal definition, is even more obnoxious. For the sake of what little decorum is left in these discussions, just don't go there.

Peace.

Absolutely agreed

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
In recent years, a nasty trend has shown up on this discussion board. A question gets asked that is associated with (even slightly) Apple's choices in hardware design, and (A) people start flame wars over what a "pro" machine is, and (B) people start flame wars over what a "pro" user is.

Gentle people, the former is tiresome, and the latter is obnoxious.

We've all heard it before 100 times or more: people insisting that a "pro" machine can't be one unless it meets some particular guy's strict personal definition. Tiresome! Move on, sulk in quiet, wait for Apple in a Zen state of peace, or deal with it however is best for you personally.

But calling out what a "pro user" is, again per some guy's personal definition, is even more obnoxious. For the sake of what little decorum is left in these discussions, just don't go there.

Peace.

Yes, and I am sick of it. I used to read this place daily, but now it is not fun to do so. Every god damn topic turns into "Apple has abandoned the professional market"! and a few people respond because "you can no longer upgrade the internals". Really?

This got VERY VERY bad with the 2016 laptops. I am so sick of this place now.

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Try this out for a rumor: The 2013 Mac Pro 6,1 uses Xeon E5-1620 v2, E5-1650 v2, E5-1680 v2, and E5-1697 v2.

For the 1620 and 1650, Intel has initiated the EoL process. Last order date was Sept 30, 2016. Can't order any more after that date. After that date, existing orders are non-cancelable. Last scheduled delivery date though is March 8, 2019.

However many Apple ordered, thats how many they're getting. No more or less.

Source: Intel Product Change Notification 114395-00

Reactions: Neodym and ssgbryan

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
That Macworld page has constantly stated false rumors that never really happened. I remember them posting over and over again that a new Mac Pro would come in x months... In other words, their rumors are absolute crap.

The problem with trying to pin a Mac Pro release date is it keeps getting pushed. AMD keeps pushing, and Apple keeps moving people around internally.

A 7,1 exists, but at this point the worry should be if Apple ever gets back around to releasing it.

March is still possible for an announcement, but tough to say with everything in the air if that's a definite thing. If there is a big gap of time after Vega launches with no Mac Pro announcement, then it's time to worry.

Daniel Reed

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
The problem with trying to pin a Mac Pro release date is it keeps getting pushed. AMD keeps pushing, and Apple keeps moving people around internally.

A 7,1 exists, but at this point the worry should be if Apple ever gets back around to releasing it.

March is still possible for an announcement, but tough to say with everything in the air if that's a definite thing. If there is a big gap of time after Vega launches with no Mac Pro announcement, then it's time to worry.

Vega 11 won't even be out until May/June; Vega 10 release is EOY.

I see perhaps a(nother) WWDC tease with a release in very late 2017 (and in back-order until ealry 2018)

Pure Speculation:

To differentiate the (i)Mac Pro 7,1 from (i)Mac 18,1 to the public/media:
  • Black paint job
  • Built-in pedestal wireless charging
  • Supports new emoji wireless keyboard
  • Courage™

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
The MP6,1 uses "E5 v2" Xeons.

Intel has released "E5 v3" and "E5 v4" Xeons - so the MP6,1 is two generations behind current technology.

So I guess the question to ask is when the v5's are coming out?

Apparently they will be 32 core unites available:
http://wccftech.com/intel-xeon-e5-2699-v5-skylake-ep/

Apparently Mid 2017... So, to me that means we probably shouldn't expect any Mac Pros until then, no?

Actually, looks like there is a v6! But for now that seems to be a mobile variant only?

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-releases-kaby-lake-xeon-mobile-intel-xeon-e3-1500-v6-family/

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This particular sub forum is at least populated by professioals who tend more to reason than actual flames. If you have problems with even this level of discussion then I guess the internet is not for you.

Um, there has been a lot of posts here since the 2013 release that apple "Abandoned the professional market". I have never seen evidence of this. We have had to deal with it for YEARS here. I used to LOVE this place. it is not "this discussion", it is that "this discussion" has been discussed since 2014. Until there is proof that the 2013 Mac Pro cannot even LAUNCH programs, they are certainly suitable for "professional" work. Does it suit YOUR "professional" work? I do not know. Each pro has their own needs. Mine is different than yours. And yours is different than Joe Somebody's walking down the street. If your professional workflow needs dual or triple $5,000 Quadro video cards, obviously the Mac Pro does not suit your needs.

The 2016 Macbook Pro "issue" just got me so frustrated with this, but this has been going on since 2013. "Can't upgrade the components", "Can't add additional internal drives" and more things like that. Were you here in 2013 when the system was released? People are still calling it the trashcan because IT IS SO HORRIBLE!

Price wise, I get you. It should have had a price drop or the starting RAM increased.

And I get you guys, I really do. I love NVIDIA cards WAY WAY WAY WAY more than AMD cards. But AMD cards DO have their advantages, like with FCPX. AMD also does more "custom" cards for OEMs and NVIDIA does not. Maybe if NVIDIA did something similar, we would have a choice.

On my Windows systems, I would NEVER use an AMD card. NVIDIA all the way. But Apple software works BETTER with AMD cards. So for Apple systems, I prefer AMD. It sucks if your program is locked to using the proprietary CUDA to do its job.

But until the 2013 Mac, or any mac, states "sorry, you cannot even open X program. Thanks!", how are these not "professional" systems? Why are people still thinking it is the 90s or early 2000s with processor generations? So the Xeons are two generations old. Are the new ones 2,000% better?

My 2010 6-core Xeon at 3.33Ghz performs at the same speed as my 2015 Windows desktop 6-core i7 at 3.33Ghz with the latest generation at the time. Why is that? These days, processor generation does not matter at all. Now I wouldn't go out and buy the first generation i7 or anything like that. But something two generations old is NOT THAT BAD. People are still getting "professional" work done on a G5! How many generations old is that processor?

"internet is not for me" so the internet is just these forums then? You do realize you cannot get by without the internet these days right? For most of us, it is the only way we can even apply for a job.

Anyway, sorry for my 2016 Macbook Pro frustrations being brought up here, and the frustrations since 2013! Back to the topic!

I think now that TB3/USB-C is being HEAVILY pushed, we will see a new Mac Pro when the new Xeons are available. That might be the "last Mac Pro", but that would be okay. I am mostly holding out from buying the 2013 one (even though it beats anything else for what I need - FCPX) due to it coming with TB2 and a non-standard port. I do think we will at least see one more update to it.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Um, there has been a lot of posts here since the 2013 release that apple "Abandoned the professional market". I have never seen evidence of this. We have had to deal with it for YEARS here. I used to LOVE this place. it is not "this discussion", it is that "this discussion" has been discussed since 2014. Until there is proof that the 2013 Mac Pro cannot even LAUNCH programs, they are certainly suitable for "professional" work. Does it suit YOUR "professional" work? I do not know. Each pro has their own needs. Mine is different than yours. And yours is different than Joe Somebody's walking down the street. If your professional workflow needs dual or triple $5,000 Quadro video cards, obviously the Mac Pro does not suit your needs.
You’re putting up some pretty weak arguments bro. Until there isn't proof the Mac Pro cannot launch programs, I mean seriously??? You can still love this place, just pick the threads you want to follow more carefully or start your own and report those who join it and take it off topic. Trouble is we all have opinions and each are often as vaild as each other.

Apple started this by using the Pro moniker to name their hardware, why not post feedback and tell them they are wrong? If they are right the they may as well release the Apple Watch Pro or Apple TV Pro as if I use it for my work it’s pro right?
Nobody here is saying that somebody elses occupation isn't Pro. They are saying the hardware might not be, big difference. Me using a childrens toy for work doesn't make that toy a pro piece of equipment although I might be using it for my professional work.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Just in this thread alone we have witnessed you conveniently ignoring legitimate "evidences" towards the argument, and proceed to build up straw-men such as "can't launch programs" which only you have brought up. If you are borrowing responses from other threads preceding this one, throwing them in here and assuming everyone else is the same person to argue against then all I can say is you are very confused.

It is the same logic in your earlier ironic claim of "So working in Final Cut Pro X is not a professional area then? Okay." Who said that in this thread? You read different comments here and then compiled the whole logic completely backwards.

But anyway I am starting to see that perhaps Apple has decision makers with similar lines of thoughts like this, otherwise the whole nMP situation would be unexplainable. "Who says our FCPX isn't a pro editor? We will build our Pro machine to run it really well, and only it!!!111"

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
But anyway I am starting to see that perhaps Apple has decision makers with similar lines of thoughts like this, otherwise the whole nMP situation would be unexplainable. "Who says our FCPX isn't a pro editor? We will build our Pro machine to run it really well, and only it!!!111"

THERE YOU GO....RIGHT THERE.

"We will build our Pro machines to run IT (as in FPCX) really well, and only it"

And only it? Really? This is what irritates me. Where is the evidence that every other single possible Professional software runs like crap? I can do MASSIVE photography work on someone else's 2013 Mac Pro.....And even on my 2010 Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM and the Radeon 5870. Somehow that is more "Pro" than a 2013 Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM and dual D700s?

How is that "evidence" that the only complaint I have read so far that it is OPTIMIZED SO WELL (yes OPTIMIZED not LIMITED TO) to run the most intense professional tool that Apple develops? It is not Apple's job to OPTIMIZE everything to make sure Adobe works well with it. That is Adobe's job instead of focusing on the proprietary CUDA.
[doublepost=1485453203][/doublepost]
You’re putting up some pretty weak arguments bro. Until there isn't proof the Mac Pro cannot launch programs, I mean seriously??? You can still love this place, just pick the threads you want to follow more carefully or start your own and report those who join it and take it off topic. Trouble is we all have opinions and each are often as vaild as each other.

Apple started this by using the Pro moniker to name their hardware, why not post feedback and tell them they are wrong? If they are right the they may as well release the Apple Watch Pro or Apple TV Pro as if I use it for my work it’s pro right?
Nobody here is saying that somebody elses occupation isn't Pro. They are saying the hardware might not be, big difference. Me using a childrens toy for work doesn't make that toy a pro piece of equipment although I might be using it for my professional work.

Um yes? Surface Pro is indeed Pro even though it's hardware is more crap than my 2013 rMBP. It is marketed towards graphic artists. As in "Pro".

Who decides what hardware is Pro? Where do you draw the line? Do I need to buy 3x $5,000 Quadro video cards for the hardware to be considered Pro?

If you can draw on it, and it is marketed as that, an Apple Watch Pro is not bad either. People here think Pro = triple SLI with $5,000 Quadros and only 3D Modeling. No.

Everybody should just get rid of the word Pro in the product names, people are just WAY WAY WAY WAY over the top complaining about it. And really, it doesn't matter. A Core i3 with 4GB of RAM can be a "pro" system for someone. They should get rid of Pro words everywhere (including Microsoft). They should then call it the Mac Workstation (Xeon's are Workstation processors, so the name will fit regardless if it has 1GB of RAM or 1,000 GB of RAM, or a cheap crappy video card or on a triple SLI setup with Quadros)

Now PS4 Pro? No way in hell those are "pro".

Last edited:

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
THERE YOU GO....RIGHT THERE.

:D:D

You are cute...

You might want to rationalize your arguments better though. A lot of points you brought up in your posts here do not make sense, sometimes contradicting your own self.

Most of us here are not worried about the pro moniker, though we do question Apple's decisions over the past few years ( there are various conjectures reg why things are the way they are )

Folks like yourself and us, the ones who would want to continue using the Apple platform keep scratching our heads over why Apple is taking away options while not necessarily replacing them with something better. By better I mean well thought out strategies that target the widest possible users ( professional ones ! )... like they used to.

Reactions: thats all folks

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Dude, you keep hitting a huge logical brick wall that requires painting it in your face. The statement: "Running FPCX really well, and only it", does not entail not being able too run everything else adequately. And even if that was the case, I as a professional would prefer my machine to be as potentially powerful as possible to handle tasks throw at it in its ownership lifespan. During this time frame, project natures change, industry trends change, my clients' needs change. The classic Mac Pro, the G5 Cheese Grater, and all the Power Macs before them have fit into that need for decades. If I just want a machine that can perhaps handle my task semi-well, and is probably not optimized for my given industry, then by definition, it is "not professional enough for me", what I am getting is a compromise. Which then relates to your assessment of "nMP is not optimized for other tasks but is professionally equipped well enough for other areas" is straight up subjectively untrue, and other replies including mine have provided professional use cases as evidence which you subjectively dismissed, or offered solutions such as switching to Windows PC where you *clearly* agree that the Apple solution is not good enough for some situations.

Speaking on photography performance, just using Photoshop and Lightroom as examples. The inability for the nMP to install multiple physical drives alone is enough to take it off the top performers from a list of computers, even ones from years ago. A custom PC or even a cMP can be configured to have PCI SSD for OS and catalogue database, another PCI SSD for scratch disk, RAW on striped RAID-0 HDDs, and then having a CUDA enabled GPU for some accelerated tasks or LR interface/local adjustments. I can agree that a maxed out nMP is perhaps a good enough machine for "massive photography work", but its form factor is limiting the potential for it to be further customized and optimized for such tasks. Again, a case of the nMP is "not professional enough".

I personally can give no less of a rat if a Pro moniker is sticked onto the face of a machine or not, I just want it to be a problem solver in the most cost effective manner possible. Un-upgradibility, in-expandiblity, and user-un-servicibility are all limitations that bar a professional machine to be as professional as possible, and the fact that it is charging premium price is also not helping. If the G4 Cube was named "G4 PRO", the pro-users wouldn't be any more or less upset because the Power Mac G4 tower was never discontinued in the process of the Cube roll-out. But Apple did the otherwise with the nMP.

The heart of the argument is not that Apple *completely* abundant the professional market, but that they threw out a self-limiting solution to industries with wild varieties of problems, which inevitably alienates itself from being taken seriously. So to rephrase it: Apple is asking for much of the professional markets to abundant them, consider yourself lucky if you don't fall in that crowd.

Last edited:

Varmann

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
In my opinion Apple had looked into where the professional market were heading when they designed the Macpro 2013. My company (meteorology) have for at least 20 years had all operational data on a big network storage. The last 3-4 years we are also trying to make a transition from having local prosessing of visual data to using a central server for that, and just distribute the plot. Our linux workstations simply cannot handle the load anymore, neither can the network. But as many pointed out this is only a part of the wide professional business.

I think a bigger problem for companies (than the design of the box) is Apples silence about roadmaps and update plans.

My company normally upgrade 25-33% of the workstations every year. The IT department want to use companies that have stable product lines, that do not radically shift every 5 years. A lot of our infrastructure have solutions developed in house during decades, even small changes take large efforts to pull through. Every new linux release take 1.5 year to test and implement. So planning ahead is crucial in my business, and I guess in many others as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.